Does the 1Password app on my Mac use the Apple Keychain?

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Does 1Password use the Apple Clipboard?.

Comments

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

Another question: Does the 1Password app on my Mac use the Apple Keychain?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kohls,

Since this is a new question, I've moved it to a separate thread, just to avoid any confusion. I hope you don't mind!

To answer your question, no, 1Password for Mac doesn't use the OS X Keychain at all.

If you have more questions about that or anything else, just let us know! :)

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

I have two login items in my Mac Keychain titled 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.HockeySDK. Can you tell me what this is? Can I delete them without affecting the 1Password app?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@kohls please tell us what version of 1P for Mac you are using.

(The only reason I ask is that someone has posted a remarkably similar question on the 1P for Mac beta forum, so I'm wondering if by any chance you, too, are running the beta.)

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Just goes to show how often I submit crash reports - I haven't come across this :tongue:

I believe that link supplied by Stephen_C will inform you of everything you need @kohls. As you will see, you can safely delete them with no loss. If you have any questions about it please do ask :smile:

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member
    Options

I am not running beta. I have 1Password Version 5.3.2 (yours - not the App Store version) Browser Extension 4.3.1, OS X 10.10.3, syncing with Dropbox. I did see the similar question before, but not the response which I just read. Now I'm confused. The response to my initial question, "Does the 1Password app on my Mac use the Apple Keychain?" was "To answer your question, no, 1Password for Mac doesn't use the OS X Keychain at all." So 1Password DOES use the Keychain, but only for crash reports?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @kohls,

Sorry for the confusion. This will apply to both the stable and beta versions if you report a crash.

HockeyApp is the service we use for crash reporting and it is normal to have the com.agilebits.onepassword4.HockeySDK and 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.HockeySDK items stored in the OS X Keychain. These just contain the values you entered in the Name and Email fields of the HockeyApp crash reporter window so you don't need to enter them again next time.

So yes, 1Password 5 does use the OS X Keychain, but only for your contact info for HockeyApp crash reporting. Not for your 1Password data, master password, or any other secure data.

If you wanted to remove those items from the keychain, it shouldn't be a problem.

This discussion has been closed.