Possible to login from someplace else rather than your home or personal device?

Options
2SlaterStorm
2SlaterStorm
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

How do you login to a profile from someplace else (not your home or any of your devices) if you are using 1Password and it manually generates a password for all of your logins? The manually generated option is perfect; however, how does it work when you're trying to login from "new" device. If the password is now generated to a list of characters which, is in no way able to remember, how do you login in from a friends device? For example, you do not have access to your personal device so you borrow your friend's device and try logging into your Facebook account. How exactly are you suppose to login, hence the fact you have a "random" password. I apologize if I sound redundant, but I am trying to get my point across and make sense of this. Please feel free to help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There are really three potential solutions:

• For some key logins (your master password, Apple ID and Dropbox, for example) it's helpful to use memorable Diceware pass phrases
    • Some of us carry around iOS devices with our 1P vaults on them
    • If you use Dropbox you might look at using 1Password Anywhere to provide access to your 1P data through a browser.

Stephen

• 2SlaterStorm
    2SlaterStorm
    Community Member
    Options

(Not sure if I am @ing you in this reply) Thank you Stephen, I very much appreciate your solution(s). So if I understood you correctly, I can use my master password to login into any of my accounts which are sync up to 1P? I do not necessarily need to type in that manually generated code? I can go right ahead and use my master password? If you may, please clarify. Thank you once again!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@2SlaterStorm let me explain like this (in the hope it's clear):

1. You don't actually have 1P accounts. You 1P data is stored on the devices on which you run 1P. You can sync your 1P data between those devices using 1P sync facilities.
    2. You use the same master password on all devices and that gives you access to your 1P data on each device.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by:

I do not necessarily need to type in that manually generated code?

It is your master password that gives you access to your 1P data. If you need to sync your 1P data to or from a Cloud service (like iCloud or Dropbox) then of course you may need the password for that service to allow you to access that service...which is where Diceware may come in useful as mentioned in my previous post.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood any of your questions - and please do post again if I have or if anything is at all unclear.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @2SlaterStorm,

I hope Stephen's answers have been helpful!

To help clear up a couple things: By default, all your 1Password data is stored locally on your device. If you have 1Password installed on multiple devices, you can keep your 1Password data up to date on each device by using a sync option (such as Dropbox).

If you want to access your 1Password data from a device that doesn't have 1Password installed, then as Stephen mentioned, you can use 1PasswordAnywhere. The most common way to do that is to set up Dropbox sync, then sign into your account on dropbox.com from a web browser. We have some more information about all this here: Can I access 1Password while away from home/traveling?

Please keep in mind that 1PasswordAnywhere is a very simplified way to access your 1Password data. It's not meant as a full password management solution - it just gives you very basic, read-only access to your 1Password vault in Dropbox. It's a convenient way to view your 1Password data from a web browser on a device that doesn't have the 1Password app installed, but it's not meant as a full password management solution.

If you have more questions about that, please let us know - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.