How to migrate 1password data to a new laptop

Options
patrickhamilton
patrickhamilton
Community Member

Hope do I transfer my 1 password data to a new laptop from a i mac ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

In order that we can help please tell us:

• What version of 1P for Mac you are using
    • Whether you sync your 1P data to any other device and if so to what device
    • If relevant, what sync method you use to sync your 1P data (Dropbox, iCloud or wifi)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @patrickhamilton ,

The answers to Stephen's questions will help us better advise you here. (In particular, whether or not you have your data synced to a cloud service will affect how we get you sorted out.)

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Hi guys , how do I transfer all my passwords onto a new laptop ? I have them on a imac but need to add to new laptop.

thanks in advance.

1Password Version: 5.3
    Extension Version: 4.3.1.90
    OS Version: OSX 10.10.3
    Sync Type: iCloud

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Some questions, the replies to which will help us to answer:

• Will your new laptop be a MacBook Pro or a Windows machine?
    • If it will be a MBP, will you be using the same Apple ID on it? (If so, you can download 1P again from the Mac App Store without charge and sync your 1P data via iCloud.)

Stephen

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Stephen,

When I go to apps store , I'm asked to pay $64.99 ....why do I need to purchase again ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You should not be asked to pay again so long as you're using the same Apple ID on the new machine as you used when you originally bought 1P: are you?

Stephen

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

Using the same Apple ID .... This should be an easy process ?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Using the same Apple ID .... This should be an easy process ?

Yes, it should be perfectly simple if the Apple ID is identical to that used when you bought 1P on the other machine. You should simply be able to re-download the app and install it without charge. I'm really not sure why that's not working for you.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @patrickhamilton,

I believe Stephen_C is assuming you've purchased the Mac App Store because you state you are syncing via iCloud in 1Password 5 which would require the Mac App Store version. If you are definitely syncing via iCloud in 1Password 5 then his assumption is good. If you did and it was purchased using this Apple ID then you should see an entry for 1Password for Mac in the Purchases tab of the App Store application on your Mac. It is possible to hide a MAS purchase and this link will help if that's the case, Hide and unhide purchases in the Mac App Store.

If you didn't purchase from Apple's Mac App Store then that would be why it wants to charge. Our AgileBits Store and Apple's Mac App Store are completely separate stores and the way each works mean they aren't interchangeable. If you previously purchased 1Password 4/5 from our store you would want to download 1Password for Mac from our AgileBits Download page and use your existing licence to deactivate the trial mode. Do you happen to still have the 1Password for Mac receipt? It would probably let you know everything you need to know including where from and using what email address which might help if you have multiple Apple IDs.

Hopefully we can help you get to the bottom of this puzzle.

• patrickhamilton
    patrickhamilton
    Community Member
    Options

I did upgrade from the stand alone Agile to the iTunes app, earlier this year so I could sync across all devices ie desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone. Still is asking me to purchase - why ? Now I can't use my laptop, because all of my passwords are 30 character passwords - I'm pretty well stuffed and not very happy - If I had known what a farce this process was, trust me I would have purchased an easier solution from your competitors.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @patrickhamilton,

I'm sorry this has turned out to be so frustrating for you! I noticed you posted about this twice on our forums (once on the 26th and again on the 28th) so I've merged both discussions together to avoid confusion. It looks like you also emailed us a few times on the 26th about the same thing, and Marshall replied to you on the same day (I just wanted to mention that in case you hadn't seen his response).

I did upgrade from the stand alone Agile to the iTunes app, earlier this year so I could sync across all devices ie desktop, laptop, iPad and iPhone.

In your forum discussion from April, you had asked about the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac and using iCloud sync. At that time, the copy of 1Password on your Mac did not have the iCloud sync option, which means you had the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installed. Did you then purchase 1Password 5 for Mac from the Mac App Store? If so, do you still have the email receipt you would have received from Apple? That might help to clear up some confusion.

Still is asking me to purchase - why ?

That's a good question, and unfortunately we don't have the answer to that because we don't have access to your Mac App Store purchase history. The Mac App Store is controlled entirely by Apple, and we don't receive any customer information from Apple about purchases made from their app stores. We simply don't have access to their system.

Now, the way it should work is that, if you previously purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, you should be able to open the Mac App Store app on your Mac and go to the Purchases section, and as long as you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password for Mac, it should be shown there with a button to install it. If you don't see your purchase there, you may need to contact Apple for assistance, because unfortunately we don't have any control over Apple IDs or what purchases are associated with what IDs. Again, that's controlled entirely by Apple, and it works the same way for any app you purchase from the Mac App Store - not just 1Password.

One thing that might help is to open 1Password on your iMac and go to the menu for 1Password > About 1Password. That should show you the version, as well as if it's the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version. That will at least confirm which one you have installed there.

It may also help if you can find the email receipt you received from Apple when you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store. If so, please email us a copy of that (you can reply to the email you received from Marshall a few days ago). That could help us to clear up some confusion. Also, we'll keep the conversation going via email, just so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there.

Again, I'm sorry for any confusion/frustration here! Although we don't have control over Apple's app stores, we'll do our best to help you figure out what's going on with that. Thanks for your patience while we try to help you get this all sorted out!

ref: FTH-28555-743
    ref: 331975

This discussion has been closed.