How do I transfer passwords from one iMac to another iMac?

Options
riprap8880
riprap8880
Community Member

I bought a new iMac and used it for 4 months. All kinds of problems. Going back to my old iMac and would like to transfer the new passwords to the old iMac. How?

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: No idea
OS Version: OS x 10.10.3
Sync Type: ethernet or thumb drive

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @riprap8880,

Sorry to hear about the problems you had with your new iMac! That doesn't sound like much fun. :(

The easiest way to get your 1Password data from one Mac to another is usually by using one of the sync options (such as Dropbox). But I noticed your message shows "ethernet or thumb drive" as the Sync Type - does that mean that's how you would prefer to sync your data instead of a cloud sync solution like Dropbox? Are you currently syncing your 1Password data? If so, what method are you using?

There are other ways you can transfer 1Password data from one Mac to another - for example, export data on one Mac and import on the other, or copy a 1Password backup file from one Mac and use it to restore 1Password on the other. However, your options will depend on what version of 1Password is on each Mac. Your message said you're using 1Password 3 on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). But I found your license info in our system, and it looks like you bought a license for 1Password 5 earlier this year. Can you please let us know which Mac OS X version is on each Mac, and which version of 1Password you're using on each Mac?

Once you can confirm the OS X and 1Password versions, we'll be able to give you more specific information on how to transfer your data. Thanks in advance!

• riprap8880
    riprap8880
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew:

The computer that I am trying to export 1Password data FROM is an iMac 27-inch, running OS X 10.10.3, and has 1Password version 3.8.22 (build 32010) installed and browser extension 3.9.21 on Google Chrome.

The computer that I am trying to export 1Password data TO is an iMac 27-inch, running OS X 10.10.3, and has 1Password version 3.8.22 (build 32010) installed and browser extension 3.9.21 on Google Chrome.

I do not use Dropbox and do not use a cloud. Nothing is synced.

I would like to either copy the data on the old iMac to a thumb drive and then load it into the new iMac, or connect the two iMacs together to transfer the data.

When I checked for updates in 1Password, both computers said that I am running the latest version. I do not have a product that uses an iOS operating system.

Once the data is transferred from the old iMac to the new iMac, I plan to sell or donate the old iMac.

You say that I bought a license for version 5 earlier this year. Can I download it again and start using it?

Some questions on the transfer (assuming I can do it): if a web site exists on the old iMac but not on the new iMac, will the data be added? if a web site exists on the new iMac but not on the old iMac, will the data be deleted? if the web site exists on both iMacs, will the data on the new iMac be updated, or will both old and new be available?

Thanks for your help.

riprap8880

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @riprap8880,

There is an easy way to move a vault from one Mac to another with 1Password 3. Given you don't use Dropbox the default location that 1Password 3 stores your vault is ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/. In that folder you will find a file called 1Password.agilekeychain - this is your vault. If you copy that file to a flash drive and then copy it to the same location on another Mac that has 1Password 3 then it will use that vault.

Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to merge two 1Password 3 vaults. Under other circumstances you could export one vault and then import it into the other but not if you're running 1Password 3 on Yosemite. We haven't updated 1Password 3 for a while now and some of the libraries required for importing and exporting no longer exist in the newer copies of OS X.

Saying that, you do have a licence for 1Password 5. You seem to have purchased it on the email address you use here in the forums rather than the other email address you used for 1Password 3. So you can request your licence file for 1Password 5 be resent to you by submitting that email address at the bottom our AgileBits Support page.

What I would recommend is the following.

1. Install 1Password 5 on the Mac you are going to keep. It will find the existing 1Password 3 data and import it automatically.
    2. Copy the 1Password.agilekeychain from the Mac you aren't going to keep and put it on the Desktop of the Mac you are keeping.
    3. Open 1Password 5's preferences and switch to the Sync tab. You will find Folder Sync is enabled. Set the option to None and confirm you wish to disable.
    4. Set the option to Folder Sync once again and 1Password will ask for the location of the .agilekeychain, point it to the one on your Desktop. It will ask if you're sure and then it will merge the contents of this .agilekeychain with your existing vault from this Mac.

So why was this possible with 1Password 5 and not 1Password 3? In 1Password 3 you .agilekeychain was your vault and you could only have one open. In 1Password 4/5 we demoted the .agilekeychain to synchronisation duty only and instead your vault is stored locally in an encrypted SQLite database file. This way we can import the contents of one .agilekeychain (so they're all copied to the database) and then stop syncing to that .agilekeychain. We can then point 1Password 5 to another .agilekeychain and go through the process again.

You may find you have a lot of duplicate entries and that a level of vault tidying is required - that will be a manual affair.

Does any of that help at all? If you have questions please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.