how to import keychain from old 1Password 3 into new 1Password 5 ?

Options
TR2
TR2
Community Member

i choose the "old" keychain as required, but nothing happen...
Thank you for helping me

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• TR2
    TR2
    Community Member
    Options

1Password 3.8.22
    Mac OS 10.6.8
    1Password 2015-06-15 113845 (299 items).agilekeychain_zip

to

Mac OS 10.10.3
    1Password 5.3.2

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TR2,

What you have there is a backup file from 1Password 3 and it's a very different format to that found in 1Password 4/5. So you can't import it as 1Password 5 is expecting the newer backup format. It isn't a disaster by any means though.

1. Rename 1Password 2015-06-15 113845 (299 items).agilekeychain_zip to 1Password.agilekeychain.zip
    2. Confirm you want to change the extension to .zip when OS X asks.
    3. Double click on the ZIP file to extract the 1Password.agilekeychain that is contained inside.
    4. In 1Password 5 click the I've used 1Password before button and then select the This Mac option.
    5. Point 1Password to your now extracted 1Password.agilekeychain
    6. This will import the contents and you will now have a working 1Password 5.

As well as importing the contents, pointing 1Password 5 to your 1Password.agilekeychain will set up Folder Sync to the 1Password.agilekeychain. You will probably want to disable Folder Sync after the import is completed which you can do by entering 1Password's preferences and switching to the Sync tab. Set the menu option to None and confirm that you wish to Disable Sync. You are now free to delete the 1Password .agilekeychain as it has served its purpose.

If you're wondering why do we set up sync it's meant more for when 1Password finds the 1Password .agilekeychain in the likes of Dropbox or the default 1Password 3 location. It means that if other devices are accessing this .agilekeychain that they all remain in sync. This won't be the case if we're extracting a .agilekeychain from a 1Password 3 backup.

If you have any questions please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.