How do I delete primary vault on iCloud I created 6 months ago when exploring trial. missing passwor

Options
susanabirk
susanabirk
Community Member

In Oct I downloaded trial. Played around and waited until I had more time to set up. Forgot Master Password. Bought app today and can't sync with I cloud because says there is another primary vault on iCloud. I don't know master password for that primary vault. Just want it deleted so I can start new.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @susanabirk,

Before we proceed can you confirm what version of OS X you're running for us please along with what version of 1Password for Mac you have (for more details on the 1Password part we have a page, Which version of 1Password am I running?).

The reason I ask is in 1Password 5 it isn't possible to synchronise with iCloud in the trial version as only Mac App Store applications can access the required frameworks (an Apple restriction). It might be you also tested our 1Password for iOS though as that can sync to iCloud (all iOS apps must come from Apple after all).

I just want to make sure before we proceed to avoid any possibility of damage. One thought is, do you share your iCloud account with a partner at all?

We will definitely get this resolved, I just want to make sure we don't accidentally delete something.

• susanabirk
    susanabirk
    Community Member
    Options

Os Yosemite 10.10.3
    1 password 5.3 downloaded yesterday
    Don't know what I used in Oct as I don't see it on my application list

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @susanabirk,

I think the reason littlebobbytables asked if you were sharing your iCloud account with anyone else is because if there's already a vault there, it means someone has previously bought 1Password from the Mac App Store and synced it with iCloud, and if that wasn't you, it might be a bad idea to erase that data. The reason we think it could have been someone other than you is because you said you downloaded the trial, which would be the app available on our website, the current version of which cannot use iCloud Sync. However, you may have been using 1Password 4, which did have a way to sync with iCloud.

Bearing these things in mind, I believe the information you're looking for is here: How to reset iCloud data and start fresh. This will remove all existing 1Password data from your iCloud Drive.

Here are some tips to help you create a strong and memorable Master Password so you won't have to lose any important data in the future: Toward Better Master Passwords.

I hope this helps you! Please let us know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.