License/upgrade question

Options
Vee_AG
Vee_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: My question is complex - is there a Help Number I can call?.

Comments

• Boz110
    Boz110
    Community Member
    Options

I recently paid money for 1password, updated to Yosemite OS, and now you want more money. Thought next 2 upgrades are free?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boz110,

Thanks for contacting us here with your upgrade question. I have split your comment into a new thread so I could address your question separately.

I searched our sales records by the email address in your forum profile, but I didn't see any licenses registered to that email address, so I can't be sure what you bought--this could be either because you registered it with a different email address or because you bought 1Password from the Mac App Store.

If you've ever purchased 1Password 5 for Mac, that purchase never expires, so we don't need you to buy it again. It sounds like you've downloaded the version of the app from our website and you're now seeing the "Trial Expired" notice. This just means you need to apply the license (if you bought a license from our AgileBits Store), or you need to switch back to the Mac App Store version of the app if that's where you bought it from.

Thought next 2 upgrades are free?

We don't guarantee free upgrades for future releases, so I'm not sure what you're referring to, but my best guess is that you bought a license for 1Password 5 for Mac, which is also valid for use with versions 3 and 4, and you were using version 3 until now. In that case, yes, you will not need to pay again to use version 4 or 5.

I hope this clarifies a bit, but please let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks for your support of 1Password!

• Boz110
    Boz110
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Name: Rusty Boswell
    Key: [deleted]

1Password 3 for Mac Single License.

Download: https://agilebits.com/downloads

Knox for Mac Single License

These are the licenses I have purchased. No 1Password 5. Not feeling like I should have to pay any more because I upgraded to Yosemite. This is certainly not a case of "Tril Expired".

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I have deleted the three keys. This is a public forum and you certainly don't want anyone else trying to use your keys.

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

You certainly don't have to pay just because of upgrading to Yosemite, as version 3 still works, though with limitations. You could return to 1PW3 if you wanted. But AgileBits recommend moving up to 1PW5, which is a paid upgrade from 3, and possibly (I don't work for them, so don't have the opportunity to check) they were not clear enough when inviting you to upgrade.

I'm also a touch puzzled when you say that you "recently" paid for 1PW. I would have expected a recent purchase to have been 1PW4, and the upgrade from 4 to 5 is free.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boz110,

I'm sorry for any confusion about this! As danco mentioned, you can certainly continue to use 1Password 3 on Yosemite if you'd like. Version 3 is still a great product, even if it doesn't have all the latest bells and whistles of newer versions. If you need to re-download 1Password 3 for Mac, you can do so from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of our download site.

I found your license info by searching for your name in our system, and I see that you purchased a license for 1Password 3 for Mac back in 2009. When you purchase 1Password, your license for the purchased version will never expire and you will receive all point updates for free. For example, if you buy a license for 1Password 5 for Mac, updates for version 5.x (i.e. version 5.3, 5.4, and so on) will be free. A new version such as 1Password 6 for Mac might be a paid upgrade, although we've been known to make some upgrades free (for example, 1Password 5 was a free upgrade for anyone who had purchased 1Password 4). We don't force you to upgrade and you can continue using your licensed version for as long as your computer's operating system supports it.

If you decide to upgrade to 1Password 5 at some point, you can visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code to see your upgrade discount and license options.

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion, but if you have more questions about any of that, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're always glad to help!

ref: 241561

• Boz110
    Boz110
    Community Member
    Options
    1. In conclusion for Rusty, with 3 licenses, 2 @ 1P(3s) & Knox, I upgraded 1 1P3 to 1Password 4 and it words good on MacPro w/Yosemite.
  • Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boz110, [note: I've moved your latest comment back to the thread you were replying to, to better track the conversation]

Thanks for the update; we're glad to hear you made the upgrade. Just a couple follow-up questions for you.

May I ask why you chose to go with 1Password 4 instead of 5? While 1Password 4 works fine on Yosemite, we really recommend 1Password 5 for that OS; it was designed and developed specifically for Yosemite, with the latest features and improvements, and it uses the same license file at 1Password 4.

Speaking of license file, I don't see a new purchase in our sales records with your old licenses. Are you aware that 1Password 4 will require a license after the 30-day trial period, and that it's a different license from your existing 1Password 3 licenses? If you do choose to buy a 1Password 5 license in the upgrade store, you'll get 50% off the regular price, and you can use that license on versions 4 and 5 on all your Macs and share it with up to 5 family members in your household.

Again, there's no pressure to upgrade, and your license for 1Password 3 is of course still valid. I'm just providing this information to make sure you understand how our licenses work for the different versions of 1Password for Mac. Just wouldn't want you to be unpleasantly surprised when the trial expires.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else. :)

• Boz110
    Boz110
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, this is a valuable update to my thinking. You are right, if I pay for an upgrade, I want 5

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Boz110,

On behalf of Vee, you're very welcome! I'm glad she was able to help clear that up for you.

Hopefully you're all set, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.