It seems I got different master passwords between macs

Options
rodrigoelp
rodrigoelp
Community Member

Where to start?
A long time ago, before Yosemite introduced whatever changes to iCloud I had set up my account with password A (for this example), then I had one of my devices on the new iCloud and my computer running the old iCloud which it broke my 1password accounts and I had to start over on my Mac to do a sync over wifi.

At some point I changed the password on a different mac (my work mac), it synched to my iPhone with password B and it worked for a while. Today I turned on my Mac (which I had synched over wifi) when I remember this one had a previous password which now I don't remember exactly how it was... tried the start over to get my vault from my work mac as that one is synched from iCloud and when 1Password informs me it found a vault in iCloud for 1Password4 and I provide the password it tells me is incorrect.

I have checked on my work Mac and iPhone, both synched via iCloud my password B. Both unlock but for whatever reason I can't seem to get it to work on my personal Mac.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• rodrigoelp
    rodrigoelp
    Community Member
    Options

By the way, my work Mac has a AppStore 1Password and my personal Mac has a 1Password I've purchased in the web store. (No idea if that really makes any difference). But my iCloud account is configured on both with my personal account (so is my phone).

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rodrigoelp,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your master password! It sounds like there are different Macs and iOS devices involved here, and you've used either Wi-Fi sync or iCloud sync on some of those, so to make sure we understand your current 1Password setup and where the problem is happening, can you please confirm a few details for us:

• How many Macs and how many iOS devices are you using with 1Password?
    • What version of Mac OS X is running on each Mac?
    • What version of iOS is running on each iOS device?
    • Aside from those Macs and iOS devices, are you using 1Password on any other computers/devices?
    • What version of 1Password is installed on each Mac?
    • On each Mac, are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? (That will also be shown when you go to the menu option for 1Password > About 1Password.)
    • What version of 1Password is installed on each iOS device?
    • Which sync option is currently set up in 1Password on each computer/device?
    • Which computer/device has all your most up-to-date 1Password information?
    • On which computers/devices can you unlock 1Password with your master password?
    • On which computers/devices (if any) are you unable to unlock 1Password?
    • On which computers/devices (if any) can you unlock 1Password, but cannot setup iCloud sync?

Once we know those details, we'll have a better idea of how to help you with that. Thanks in advance!

ref: 717386

• rodrigoelp
    rodrigoelp
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi Drew,

How many mac and how many iOS devices am I using with 1Password?
    I am using a MacBook Pro (work), an iMac (personal), an iPhone 5 (personal) and a 6 (work).

What version of Mac OS X is running on each Mac?
    Both have OS X 10.10.4, at the moment.

Aside of those Apple devices, am I using 1password somewhere else?
    No.

What version of 1Pwd is on each Mac?
    MacBook Pro (work) -> 5.3 (AppStore)
    iMac (personal) -> 5.3.2 (Agilebits store)

On each Mac, are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password? (That will also be shown when you go to the menu option for 1Password > About 1Password.)
    See above ^

What version of 1Password is installed on each iOS device?

Which sync option is currently set up in 1Password on each computer/device?
    MacBook Pro -> iCloud
    iPhone 5 & 6 -> iCloud
    iMac -> was wifi sync, did a start over as indicated in one of these topics of the forum, I am trying now to set it up with iCloud and it doesn't accept my password from any of the other three devices.

Which computer/device has all your most up-to-date 1Password information?
    I would say my work computer at the moment (and iOS devices) given I haven't been using my personal computer for about 3 months (therefore forgetting the damn password it had before... if is indeed a password I set up at some point).

On which computers/devices can you unlock 1Password with your master password?
    MacBook Pro and iOS devices. Can't unlock on my iMac.

On which computers/devices (if any) are you unable to unlock 1Password?
    iMac.

On which computers/devices (if any) can you unlock 1Password, but cannot setup iCloud sync?
    Doesn't apply... I am trying to set up the iMac (kept a backup of whatever was there in case I guess the password in the future) and I am trying to set it up with iCloud, but had the issues described.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Too complicated for me to be able to help much. But I noticed one thing.

You said you were trying to set up the iMac with iCloud sync. But the iMac has the AgileBits version of 1PW, and that, due to Apple's restrictions, does not allow iCloud sync.

You also have the App Store version on your work machine. Is there any (work-related, perhaps) reason why you can't use that on your home machine?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rodrigoelp,

Thanks so much for all the information, it's very helpful for us!

Danco noticed the same thing I did, which is that you won't be able to use iCloud sync in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your iMac. iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's new CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We have more information about that here: Why does iCloud require iOS 8, OS X 10.10, and the Mac App Store?

Unfortunately Wi-Fi sync won't be a good option with your setup, because it is meant to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices. Since you're using two Macs, there are a couple options:

In order to use iCloud sync between both Macs and iOS devices, you'll need to install the Mac App Store version of 1Password on your iMac. To do that, make sure you sign into the Mac App Store on your iMac with the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password for your MacBook Pro. To sync with the same data, you'll also need to be signed into iCloud on your iMac with the same Apple ID as on your MacBook Pro and iOS devices.

Alternately, you can switch to Dropbox sync in 1Password on both Macs and iOS devices. Dropbox sync will work between all your versions of 1Password, so it won't matter if you're using the Mac App Store or AgileBits Store version.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have more questions about that, or if you have trouble getting that setup.

• rodrigoelp
    rodrigoelp
    Community Member
    Options

Uhms, interesting. I did not know this was going to be a problem when I got the on from the website.

@danco my office account was set up for me as part of the configuration we get for each of our macs. I haven't used this account on my personal computer as I prefer to have my own software just in case... you know, avoid some trouble.

@Drew_AG thanks for the comment. Is there a way for me to exchange the webstore app for the mac app store? or will I be force to purchase it again even though I have it already?

Changing to dropbox sound an interesting idea... but it also sounds a little bit like the chicken and the egg problem as my dropbox is managed by 1pwd (I know, I can change the password to something I will remember... but). The second reason why I haven't considered changing to dropbox is, my office blocks everything related to onedrive, dropbox or anything related to content sharing.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rodrigoelp,

Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide a way to convert a license for our website version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. This is a feature we’ve wanted Apple to add to the Mac App Store for years because it would make this type of transition much easier, but it's not currently possible. If you want the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac, you would need to purchase it separately - or in your case, install it on your personal Mac using the Apple ID that was used to make the purchase from the Mac App Store on your work Mac (if possible).

One thing to consider is that iCloud does not let you share the data with a different iCloud account. If you're signed into one iCloud account on your personal Mac, and a different iCloud account on your work Mac, you won't be able to sync your 1Password data between those two Macs using iCloud sync. But if you're signed into the same iCloud account on both, that won't be a problem.

It sounds like Dropbox won't help since that's blocked at your office, so another option might be to sync your iOS devices with one Mac via Wi-Fi sync, and keep the Macs in sync with each other using the Folder sync option with another sync solution (some of which are mentioned in that linked article).

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you, but hopefully one of these options will be helpful!

This discussion has been closed.