Free Trial / Syncing vaults to Dropbox

I downloaded the free version of 1password (think it is the 'trial' period). I am wondering how long free/trial version is available for?

Also I am in the process of trying to sync one of my vaults with my Dropbox account. The free version of one password does not appear to have a 'Sync' button, however it does give me the option of 'Move to Dropbox' from Preferences>General. Is this the same thing? I am attempting to do this but 1password is telling me that I do not appear to have a Dropbox account, despite the fact that I do have one. Please advise - thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @mjung89,

It's unlimited for the first 30 days and after that, it'll revert to a free mode with 20-item limit or if you have more than 20 items, you won't be able to edit/add items until you add a license to remove the trial restrictions.

The free version of one password does not appear to have a 'Sync' button, however it does give me the option of 'Move to Dropbox' from Preferences>General. Is this the same thing?

Yes, that's fine. There is no syncing being done by 1Password on Windows, Dropbox handles the sync and all 1Password can do for you is move the vault to the Dropbox folder, which is what that button does.

I am attempting to do this but 1password is telling me that I do not appear to have a Dropbox account, despite the fact that I do have one. Please advise - thanks.

You have to install Dropbox sync client on your computer first and wait for it to finish its sync. Once it is, ask 1Password to move its folder, it should then work.

You might find our guide on Dropbox sync useful here: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/setting-up-dropbox-sync

• mjung89
    mjung89
    Community Member

Thanks MikeT.

I have taken a look at the guide on installing Dropbox sync, but am still unsure as to what I have to do/which situation applies to me. I want to sync information from a Windows <--> Windows.

• Hi @mjung89,

Here's how to get it working between PCs with Dropbox:

1. First, install Dropbox on both computers and let them finish sync'ing
    2. On the first PC with 1Password data; open 1Password, unlock, and press the Preferences button on 1Password's toolbar. Go to the General section to press the Move to Dropbox button
    3. Wait for Dropbox to finish its upload of your 1Password data and then wait for it to finish downloading on the second PC
    4. Open 1Password on the second PC, it should automatically detect the data in the Dropbox folder. If not, point it to your 1Password folder in Dropbox. If you're not sure where it is, go to the first computer and in 1Password's Preferences > General, you'll see the folder path next to 1Password Vault.

I hope that helps.

• mjung89
    mjung89
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Maybe I needed to clarify - so far I was only trying to move a folder from my own Dropbox in to a vault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mjung89: All you need to do is put the 1Password.agilekeychain into your Dropbox folder and — after Dropbox is finished syncing — open it in 1Password on each computer (File > Open 1Password Vault). I hope this helps! :)

• mjung89
    mjung89
    Community Member

How do I put the 1Password.agilekeychain into my Dropbox folder?

• mjung89
    mjung89
    Community Member

I am trying to put a specific Vault in to the Dropbox folder.

• Hi @mjung89,

The instruction I gave in post #4 is how you move the vault into your Dropbox folder, by pressing the Move to Dropbox button in 1Password's Preferences > General.

If you need to do it manually, here's how:

1. Terminate 1Password by going to the File Menu > Exit
    2. Find your 1Password.agilekeychain folder and move it to your Dropbox folder. By default, it is stored in your Documents > 1Password folder.
    3. Open 1Password and direct it to your 1Password folder that you just moved.

That should get you going. If you're having issues, please let us know what you're doing step by step and what the issue is.

• mjung89
    mjung89
    Community Member

I have done up to Step 2 manually, as when I try to click the 'Move to Dropbox' on 1password it still says I appear not to have Dropbox.

I am unclear on Step 3. I reopened 1password and am again trying to click the 'Move to Dropbox' button and it is still saying I don't have Dropbox..

• Please excuse my confusion here but do you have the Dropbox software installed on your PC?

• Hi @mjung89,

if you're doing the manual step, you don't need to press the Move to Dropbox button because you've already moved the folder to the Dropbox. However, in this situation, the button should've been grayed out.

1Password thinks you don't have the Dropbox application installed. Are you using the regular desktop version of Dropbox on your PC or is it the Modern version you downloaded from the Windows Store?

This discussion has been closed.