1Password's filling in after signing out in Firefox [Should be fixed in 1Password 4.4.1 extension]

David_Newman
David_Newman
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

This is a bug report.

I used 1Password to log me in to openDNS.com. It got me in fine, but I got an error message about the program not being able to complete something. The only option was "Accept." I then did what I had to do and logged out - and as soon as I did, 1Password logged me back on with the same error message - 3 times until I closed the browser. (Windows 7, Firefox 38.0.5)

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.4.0
OS Version: Win 7 Pro, SP1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @David_Newman,

I just filed a bug report on this last night, we're investigating for a cause right now and will get the fix out ASAP.

Are you opening the OpenDNS.com item from the 1Password Menu or the main program? If yes, that's the issue.

Try to visit opendns.com manually in the web browser and press Control + \ or the 1Password button to select the item to fill. That should work without logging you back in.

Bug ref: OPX-1044

• russ1203
    russ1203
    Community Member

On a number of site, the main page is also the login page. 1Password successfully logs me in, i use the site, then I log out. Unfortunately, 1Password sees the login fields and logs me right back in. Why can't 1Password try just once to log me in. When successful, it should forget which site I tried to log in to, no. It appears to remember meaning that information is resident in memory after I use it. That is very bad is it not?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Win7 Pro SP1
    Sync Type: Dropbox

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@russ1203: 1Password does not keep this information in memory, but it will access it again on demand. I'm sorry that you're having this issue! Are you by any chance using Firefox? We're aware of a similar problem to your description there, and we're working on a fix. Please let me know!

• David_Newman
    David_Newman
    Community Member

I was doing it from the main program. I'll try the ^\ and see if that works.
    Thanks.

• russ1203
    russ1203
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

Yes, I am using Firefox. What other browsers does 1Password work with (am not using Google products, period)? I don't understand how a webpage can create "demand" on its own. I have to open the 1Password extension and select the web address for it to enter my uid and pwd. It doesn't happen automatically just because I open the site. Why would that not also be the case when logging off. There must be some linkage being retained in memory.

• russ1203
    russ1203
    Community Member

OK, just installed Opera and the Opera extension. The problem did not occur with the few sites I tested. How can I be notified when you have a fix for Firefox? I'd really prefer to stick with it vice IE...Opera...etc...

• DCusername
    DCusername
    Community Member

Not sure if this is related but just today I started seeing similar behavior in FireFox (37, had to downgrade from 38 because of massive FF bugs). For me, 1Password got caught in a loop of seemingly endless autofills, making it impossible to do anything till I forced the browwser to close. Then just now, I tried logging in to a site and the fields did fill and I was logged in, but THEN 1Password put my password in plain text into the browser search field and submitted that (!), and then did the same with my username. Kindof freaked out about that actually. Is this related? If I can be added to a list for when a patch is released please add me, I'm probably going to disable the program for now...

• Opening a login item from the main app constitutes a Go & Fill action which will trigger the bug that my colleague Mike described.
    Using the keyboard shortcut won't trigger this behaviour, and you can also temporarily disable auto-submit in the login item's options or globally in the 1Password preferences.

• I've merged another thread into this one because it covers the same issue.

• tetraploid
    tetraploid
    Community Member

I've been a 1Password paid subscriber for a few years now and love the program. This is by far the worst bug you have ever introduced. It's beyond annoying and it's to the point that I have to literally put the program into lock mode while surfing so it doesn't try and autofill on every other web page. I can't believe your QA process didn't catch this. It seems this should be treated as a priority 1 bug. When can we expect a fix for the Firefox extension?

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @tetraploid,

It is the most important priority right now, we've been working on it for the past three days but the problem isn't that easy to fix. We hope to have a beta update for you very soon.

There is a workaround: Do not open sites from 1Password or the extension, instead just go to the website manually and ask 1Password to fill. This will prevent the loop from occurring.

If you accidentally perform a Go and Fill with 1Password, close the browser right away to stop the loop.

Despite the fact that the same build was in public beta testing for many months, we missed this bug because it only affected the Windows version of Firefox and it requires you to use Go and Fill and sign out. Often users are closing the tab, not signing out. We will add this use case to our list to make sure it doesn't happen again. Note, there are a few other issues we've found based on what people said here, so we plan to have more additional fixes once we fix the first primary bug.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi folks,

I got some slightly good news. We just released 4.4.1 beta 2 that includes a potential fix for this but it has a side effect.

This beta update will fix the looping issue but the problem right now is that after it is filled, it will focus the first tab instead of the one you just filled in. We're working on fixing that in the next update.

If you'd like to help us confirm the fix, please install the beta extension with this instruction:

1. Open Firefox, click on the hamburger icon (Open menu) to select Add-ons
    2. Click on the Remove button next to Firefox
    3. Open this page in Firefox: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions?beta=true
    4. You should see a lady bug next to the Install button, which means this will install the beta version of the extension, press this button and follow the instructions
    5. Restart Firefox and try Go and Fill, it should work. You will see a side effect where it opens the site to fill and then shift focus to the first window or tab. This will be fixed soon.

If you see other issues, please let us know. We'll keep you updated as we work on this.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi folks,

Good news, we made a lot of progress in 4.4.1 beta 3 and this should fix all of the reported Go and Fill issues. We will also be issuing an update to the 1Password program within 24-48 hours to fix an unrelated issue with the wrong browser being focused after doing a Go and Fill from the main program. It works fine if you do it from the extension.

In the meantime, we recommend that you use Go and FIll via the extensions only.

We'll continue to test but so far, we're not seeing any more issues. If you do, please let us know as soon as possible.

• tetraploid
    tetraploid
    Community Member

Mike - I'm glad to hear your beta 3 supposedly fixes everything because I can assure you beta 1 doesn't fix it at all. It's still going into fill loops within Firefox and it's extremely annoying. As I stated above I still have to literally lock 1Password and continuously hit cancel every time it tries to autofill on practically any webpage regardless if I'm trying to log in, am already logged in, or recently logged out. What a nightmare. Whoever is the head of your SQA team needs this written in his/her critical incident file. Clearly the person needs serious process improvement.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @tetraploid,

The issue started long after 4.4.1 beta 1 was released (it's based on the same 4.4.0 beta we released a few months ago, but renamed to 4.4.1 to make sure our beta testers get the same stable 4.4.0 update), we did not have any fixes until beta 2. So, that makes sense that you haven't seen any improvements in beta 1. Please update to beta 3 and check that specific version.

As for the QA, we've made a note already and will be sure to make sure it is tested throughly next time.

• ings
    ings
    Community Member

I'm happy to report that beta 3 has fixed the issue for me - thanks!

• Hi @ings,

Great, thanks for the confirmation!

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member

I experience this problem way beyond the login page. Even when inside a website that I logged into through the extension, 1P keeps inserting my userID in random fields. A few minutes ago, I was using net banking and 1P inserted my username inside the fund transfer amount field... annoying indeed.

• @pir2

We have a fix on the way and it should be available some time today. Until then, we'd like to ask you to refrain from using Firefox for critical tasks. We're very sorry for the inconvenience!

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member

@AlexHoffmann

Thanks for your efficiency. It's nice to see the staff following complaints so closely. Just to be clear, no problem actually happened (my userID contained letters and anyway, banks require confirmations for transfers). But it's a nuisance. Good to know a fix is on the way. All the best.

• Hi guys,

Both 1Password 4.6 for Windows and 1Password 4.4.1 extension has been released. Please update to both versions and test to see if you can reproduce any issues with it, we believe we've knocked out all of the reported issues.

@pir2, were you seeing that issue with 1Password 4.4.1 beta 3 extension in Firefox? All of the fixes should already be in there and if you're still seeing it, it's a different bug we need to track down. Please let us know.

• pir2
    pir2
    Community Member

I installed the update and, as of now, the problem seems to be gone. Thanks !

• That's great to hear @pir2!
    We'd be sad had you reported anything else ;)

This discussion has been closed.