Feature request: Google Drive sync support

Options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Me too! Thanks for taking the time to let us know Google Drive is important to you.

• kherge
    kherge
    Community Member
    Options

I just read this article on Ars Technica.

I really need Google Drive support, I have already pulled everything except the 1P database.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. It seems like there's bad news like that nearly every day now! :(

And while it sounds like you're already aware of this, I wanted to reiterate it explicitly for you and anyone else: your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data.

Regardless, hopefully we'll be able to add even more sync options in the future.

• Marco321
    Marco321
    Community Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

My five cents:
    Dropbox article - part 1
    Dropbox article - part 2

I don't know if you want to rely on a company that actively hacks its users...

As dropbox is the only free cross-device service to share your 1password repo with I guess its not a fit for me anymore :-(
    (Wifi sharing the only other close alternative does not have the same ease of use - what if my phone stays on LTE, while my tablet is on wifi?)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Marco321: Unfortunately you're right that you can't have it both ways: sync without being on the same network and avoid syncing through a cloud service over the internet. Now that would be a popular sync feature, were such a thing possible! :lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm not sure that it's fair to characterize this as "hacking" when we willingly install software on our machines to do a job for us. I have much "hackier" apps on my system that modify things to allow for more customization or to do more interesting things that Apple never intended. This is both the blessing and the curse of the capabilities of traditional desktop operating systems. It's why we're able to do so much, and why malware is too when we allow it to take root. And by contrast, the tighter security model what I both love and hate about iOS. ;)

But regardless, there's definitely a case to be made for more diverse sync options — though there are plenty of folks with mixed feelings about Google as well. Hopefully we'll be able to offer even more for everyone down the road. :)

• Greg_Mac_Android_Win
    Options

I'm confused what the issue is. I know we all want apps to work the way we do, but I find the wifi sync option very quick and easy. I use a Mac, Windows, and Android and my 1password DB is available on all of them. I don't use google drive to get it to my Android. For that I use the "wifi sync" option which works flawlessly in my experience from my Mac. I believe it is also available on Windows, but I use my Mac as my "master" file location. I only use the free version on Android because I don't care to update my DB using my phone so read only is fine and only do so on my Mac and Windows. But my Mac and Windows share the same DB using Google Drive - Google drive sync running on both Mac and Windows. I do frequently update passwords using my Mac and Win, but only periodically refresh to my Android with wifi sync. But that is fine as it's not like apps that actually matter on android (e.g. facebook, gmail, etc) get updated every week or anything and when I do change those my phone usually lets me know pretty quickly that it's lost connection to whatever app, which reminds me to do the sync so I can the new password DB onto my phone. (in other words I never find myself SOL with a stale password on my phone that I need).

My setup is-
    Mac has my "primary" or initial DB located in a folder that is part of my Google drive sync.
    My Windows computer also has the Google drive folder as part of its sync. When you install/open Windows 1password I tell it to use that existing 1Password DB.
    For Android I just open the app and click "sync". There is an auto sync checkbox but mine is greyed out - maybe because free version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Greg_Mac_Android_Win: I'll be honest, while Wi-Fi Sync is a great local option, it is certainly not as frictionless as an automatic sync service. So i can totally understand why some people prefer other options. It isn't terribly onerous, but it does depend on a few factors that have always had me preferring Dropbox to Wi-Fi Sync under most circumstances:

• Network environment: When yours has no issues, then this will be completely transparent. But not everyone has hardware and software setups (or control over them) which are friendly to direct connections like this.
    • User interaction: Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and other similar services have an upfront setup, but when they're working correctly, they're pretty seamless. Wi-Fi Sync needs to be initiated manually.

And as far as using Google Drive for computer-to-computer sync, this can sometimes result in conflicts depending on your usage and the sync efficiency. So while I'm glad to hear this setup has been working for you, be sure to backup your data regularly just in case. But thank for sharing your experience! It may be that someone else might appreciate a similar setup. Cheers! :)

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to see a Google Drive option as well, it's the only thing holding me from deleting Dropbox at this moment.

WLAN sync would be an option to consider, if my devices were "read-only" (because of the manual initiation nature), which is not the case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BrunoBernardino: Thanks for letting us know! I'm not sure I understand why the WLAN Server won't work for you. I'd love to hear more about your setup. Maybe there's a solution! :)

• gustavobrito
    gustavobrito
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• BrunoBernardino
    BrunoBernardino
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I've already deleted Dropbox (even if they can't use the hack in Sierra, it's more about the way it was done, very covert, etc.), and am using WLAN. The problem is it's not "automatically synchronized" as Dropbox was, since I have to open the app in my phone and unlock it in my Mac, in order to sync, which is something I'm not used to.

Usually when I need 1Password on my phone, I'm not near my computer, and if it's for some account I've created that I haven't synchronized yet (because it's "manual" now), it becomes a little frustrating.

I hope the use-case makes sense.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That makes perfect sense. I'm sorry for the frustration that's caused you! Thank you for following up. It may seem trivial, but it helps us to get a sense of how people are using 1Password and where they're running into its limitations. Hopefully we'll be able to offer you yet another good alternative in the future. :blush:

• loft
    loft
    Community Member
    Options

+1

Or what about creating your own sync cloud? And I'm not talking about 1P for teams. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@loft: Indeed. That's why we offer 1Password Families as well as individual plans, so that anyone can take advantage of the cloud service that 1Password Teams uses. And hopefully we'll be able to add even more options in the future as well. Thanks for your feedback! :)

• dmarteinson
    dmarteinson
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for Google Drive

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know! :) :+1:

• GeoTrove
    GeoTrove
    Community Member
    Options

+10! for google drive support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Disqualified for voter fraud! :ohnoes:

Just kidding. We'll still have to count that as one though. Thanks for coming out! ;)

• Motohiro Kosaki
    Motohiro Kosaki
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for this feature.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you! :) :+1:

• gretsch
    gretsch
    Community Member
    Options

Aaaand +1 for Google Drive :)
    I'm curious, could you elaborate a bit more about current state of things? Has something changed? Is G Drive an option still (realistically)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No news on this front at this time. Thanks for checking in though! :)

• nankai
    nankai
    Community Member
    Options

Desperately waiting for this feature!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know you'd like 1Password to support Google Drive in the future!

• Jason_Heglund
    Jason_Heglund
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to cast my vote for Google Drive support. I'd love to get rid of my Dropbox account, but cant since I use Google Drive.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to share your interest! :)

• boppp
    boppp
    Community Member
    Options

+1, literally only have dropbox installed for 1Password on all my devices... it is starting to get annoying :-(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, I see. Thank you for letting us know!

• MrMadsen
    MrMadsen
    Community Member
    Options

/Signed for google drive support

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.