Feature request: Google Drive sync support

Options
124»

Comments

• helmsc
    helmsc
    Community Member
    Options

Love 1Password (using it at work and home for multiple PCs, Macs and iOS devices...lots of $$ spent for licensing), wish there were Google Drive syncing as well.

In my opinion, I do think it's rather sad of Agilebits to let this go seeing this thread alone has been opened since July 2015. Come on devs, let's get this implemented.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2017
    Options

While Google Drive support has received interest from many users such as yourself, it isn't even close to being one of the most requested features that 1Password users ask us about -- not even the most requested sync option. We really need to focus our limited resources where we can do the most good for the greatest number of people, and, at least for now, that means Google Drive remains unsupported. It may be something we do in the future though, so it's good to know that it's something you're interested in. Fortunately, 1Password supports a number of other sync options, which is probably at least part of the reason you purchased it in the first place. Hopefully we'll be able to add others in the future, but there are other good options you already have access to with the license you purchased at least.

• Keithel
    Keithel
    Community Member
    Options

I have extensive knowledge of Google Drive's sync api from an app perspective. I was one of the developers of PhotoVia and previous to it Mosaic - a Photoshop Lightroom plugin and mobile App that added lightroom capabilities on the go before Lightroom Mobile was released. In that app, we store hundreds or thousands of photos in Google Drive with all access controlled by the apps and plugins.
    Rickfillion mentioned that he thought each file would need the user to confirm permission for access or creation. This is not true. Each application can have access to create (if permission given) and access their own files (permission https://www.googleapis.com/auth/drive.file), while not gaining access to the users other drive files. I haven't used it yet, but there is also a permission level that gains you access to a special folder only accessible to your app - an Application Data Folder. This is likely what 1Password would want to do, as then the user couldn't muck around accidentally and delete 1password files.

Anyway. I'm a 1Password user since 2013 (I think) and have been wanting true Google Drive sync since then. Right now I use a jurry rigged one way sync solution that syncs from Mac to Android via Google Drive. Two way sync would be nice, but I don't feel like creating a Dropbox account.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Keithel: Ah, yes.When Rick said that, it was January of last year, and he was speaking extemporaneously about his recollection of our efforts there in the past. Certainly Google hasn't been standing still since then. But this also brings up another important point: if we had implemented support for Google Drive when originally asked, we'd have had to go through a number of transitions since then, updating and re-testing our code. We're a small, independent company, and have experience with supporting other 3rd party sync services as well, and simply haven't had the bandwidth to devote to another. And Google Drive isn't the only one that users have been requesting. Right now we're focused on the 1Password.com service, since we're able to make the sync experience truly seamless, and offer a lot more besides. And I'm glad to hear that you have a setup that works for for you too. :)

This discussion has been closed.