Using windows 7 32bit IE 11 and getting 1Password isn't compatible with IE Enhanced Protection Mode

Using windows 7 32bit and IE 11 32 bit and getting 1Password isn't compatible with Internet Explorer's Enhanced Protection Mode. I have reviewed the knowledge base article on IE configuration, yet there is no option under Internet Options->Advanced->Security to turn it off.

Regards,
Tom Fanjoy

1Password Version: 4.5.0.BETA-581
Extension Version: 4.5.0.BETA-581
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional 32 bit
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Please excuse my confusion here but Enhanced Protected Mode (EPM) shouldn't even be available on a 32bit Windows 7 installation.
    How did you enable it?

• Hi @smoothbore,

Is your computer managed by an IT department at work or anything like that?

It is possible the message from 1Password is a red herring and something's blocking 1Password from understanding IE doesn't have this support on Windows 7. Do you have Webroot installed and if not, what security programs do you have installed?

• smoothbore
    smoothbore
    Community Member

Alex: You are correct that IE 11 on 32bit windows 7 shouldn't have EPM. The problem is that 1Password thinks it there and that it is turned on.

Mike: The computer is managed by our IT department. We use MacAfee.

• Can you please send us a screenshot of the error message that you're seeing?
    We're trying to narrow down the source of the issue.

• smoothbore
    smoothbore
    Community Member

On any website when I press the 1password button in IE, I get the following:

• Hi @smoothbore,

Thanks for the image, we'll follow up soon once we figure out what it could be.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smoothbore: Thanks for your patience. I believe what is going on here is that group policies meant for 64-bit versions of Windows are being deployed by your company on your 32-bit OS as well. The result is that there's no (obvious) way to change the setting on your machine, because such a setting should not exist. Please try the following (may require admin privileges, so someone from the company may need to do this for you):

1. Open the Local Group Policy Editor by typing gpedit.msc in the Start search text box and pressing enter.
    2. Go to Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Internet Control Panel\Advanced Page node.
    3. Double click Turn on Enhanced Protected Mode in the right hand side pane.
    4. Uncheck the Enabled radio button.
    5. Click Apply and OK.
    6. Try to use 1Password in IE again.

It may be necessary to toggle on EPM, reboot, and then turn it off again. Essentially a registry key is being installed as part of the group policy which overrides other settings on the machine. The problem is that there isn't a more reliable way for 1Password to check this, as the group policy is completely working as Microsoft intended. But we're investigating to see if there are any other tricks we could use to improve this. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• smoothbore
    smoothbore
    Community Member

Hi brenty The group policy was set to 'Unconfigured'. So I set it to 'Disabled', restarted IE and things are now working. Thanks to everyone for your assistance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smoothbore: Awesome! You are most welcome. Thanks for letting us know that worked for you. It sounds like you should be all set, but be sure to reach out if we can be of further assistance! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.