WLAN Sync between computers? [Currently not possible but can use WAN Sync tools instead]

Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I bought now 1Password for Windows and Mac.
But now i see you have Wlan sync only between computer and my toyphone.
I am asking my self where did you left the sense?
I need all my passwords on my PC and Mac and i want it to be synced independent from sun of a b**** cloud.
I only bought this product because of a lie that you have Wlan sync.
I wan't my money back or you should implement this, why didn't you already this?
I realy hate the cloud mentality, at most i hate dropbox and of course iCloud this just data stealing.
Why didn't you implement WebDAV?

What do you think what was the reason for Wlan Syncing? I am sure you wanted to get more serious persons who doesn't have many trust in cloud. SO why didn't you implement that for 100% ? My iPhone ist just a crippled toy computer... Serious People work on 3000 dollar macs and PCs... and serious People use Wlan sync.
I am very angry! Seems like a unfinished feature !!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@guest: Sorry for the confusion! No lie: we do have Wi-Fi Sync, but as mentioned in our sync guides,

IMPORTANT
    Wi-Fi sync is only available between a single Mac or PC and one or more iOS devices. 1Password for Android does not support Wi-Fi syncing at this time.

This is working as intended, as any kind of sync requires a server. When you're using Dropbox or iCloud, the server is, well...Dropbox or iCloud; when it's Wi-Fi Sync, the server is 1Password on your Mac or PC. A single computer needs to act as the server with the mobile clients, so you don't end up with a big mess of conflicts.

And it is important to note that iCloud and Dropbox can't "steal" your data. Your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so it simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. So syncing with Dropbox or iCloud is indeed a viable option.

But ultimately, it's up to you. You could always use a combination of Folder Sync and Wi-Fi Sync if you want to stay out of the cloud completely. Or we can always give you a refund if you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits Store within the last 30 days. I hope this helps! :)

Community Member
    edited July 2015

Now i am confused, How do i make my Mac oder PC act like a Server?
    Because here it says no sync between mac <-> PC : https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-windows/4/en/topic/sync-options

But you mean with Folder Sync, i could realize as example with my NAS a WebDAV Server a Folder where win and mac can sync?

Of course they are able to steal data, when i use them.. then they already have my data! Or do you want to tell me smth different? Haha
    Didn't you see how those celebritys got exposed? Do you want your naked pictures of you and your girlfriend fly around the internet ?
    Haven't you got read some of that what Snowden published?
    The US government have of course access to your nude pics... and this are just normal People.
    Didn't you now that passing around nude pics is common pastetime between the NSA personal ?

I hope you are not in the program team. (Just a joke)
    Anyways it seems you know 1Password at least very well :)

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @guest,

What Brenty was trying to say was that 1Password doesn't know how to switch between server/client for more than one computer at the time right now, that is being determined by 1Password on mobile devices. Basically, 1Password can only be paired between one computer and multiple mobile devices but it cannot be paired between two computers in the network.

But you mean with Folder Sync, i could realize as example with my NAS a WebDAV Server a Folder where win and mac can sync?

That is correct but you have to make sure the folder is local and not solely stored on the NAS itself. In other words, 1Password on the Mac will export the data from its internal database and placed into a folder of your choosing to be used for syncing. If your NAS vendor provides a tool for syncing, you can configure that tool to sync that folder to the NAS. On Windows, use the same tool to push from the NAS to the drive on your PC. Direct 1Password on Windows to open that folder and you should now be syncing between both Macs and PCs via the NAS as the middleman.

Of course they are able to steal data, when i use them.. then they already have my data! Or do you want to tell me smth different? Haha

They can't decrypt your 1Password data without knowing the password for it, they can't steal the content within the encrypted database is what Brenty meant. Yes, Dropbox has a copy of your 1Password encrypted content and of course anyone with a warrant can get that (of course some aren't even bothering with a warrant).

There's a huge difference between decrypted content on Dropbox servers and encrypted data on their data servers. Dropbox can read any data you have on their servers because they hold the encryption keys to decrypt your data. They do not have that key to your 1Password encrypted file.

If someone can break your 1Password data's encryption, than anyone in the world can go to your bank and take your money out electronically because the banks relies on encryption to protect the data it has. The entire world would be at risk if encryption were this fragile.

Didn't you see how those celebritys got exposed? Do you want your naked pictures of you and your girlfriend fly around the internet ?

Yes, we did, we've read the analysis as it is our job to stay on top of these issues. The hackers got in through weak passwords and socially engineered attacks that succeed because Apple forgot to set a limit of how many retries through one of the APIs, this was fixed later. They didn't breach Dropbox nor iCloud, they simply figured out what the celebrity used for their credentials or recovery questions and managed to get in through that. If the photos in Dropbox or iCloud were stored in an encrypted data file and protected with a strong password, it would've been prevented and breaching Dropbox or iCloud wouldn't change anything because again, they have no keys to your 1Password encryption file.

In addition, iCloud and Dropbox now supports 2-step verification, which we recommend to use to protect your account further.

Yes we did and we even blogged about it a few times. Snowden recommended using encryption to encrypt your data as that's the hardest thing NSA can do to break. That's exactly what we're doing first and foremost. There's a reason FBI and other agencies are trying to make it illegal to use encryption around the world.

If you leave unencrypted data on Dropbox, then yes, it would not be protected and can be used against you.

By the way, if your modern and/or router isn't secured properly than someone could root into it, get into your NAS and upload the content just as well. Make sure you encrypt your files on the NAS as well.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

Of course they are able to steal data, when i use them.. then they already have my data!

Yes the cloud has your data and you cannot trust them. That being said, your 1Password data is protected by AES-256+PBKDF2+HMAC-SHA-512 encryption. Assuming you have a long and strong master password, your 1Password data is safe in the cloud.

Didn't you see how those celebritys got exposed?

Celebrities got pwned because they were re-using a weak password. Had they be using 1Password and 2FA, this wouldn't have happened.

Snowden has said "encryption works" and recommends using it wherever possible. That is what we're doing.

This discussion has been closed.