Is it possible to make 1P on Win 7 x64 aware of taskbar?

A small, but annoying hinderance. I have a 2x 1440p desktop setup, and my taskbar is located at the top (and is locked). Even though seemingly labeled after its namesake, Windows has NOTORIOUSLY horrible window management. But oddly, only 1Password v4 seems adamant about opening up and placing its titlebar UNDER the locked taskbar.

No matter where I drag the program, Shift + Close, Shift + Minimize, use programs to force its opening to certain parts of the screen or not, it opens in the same place, monitor 1, top right of the screen, with its titlebar under the taskbar. Is it possible to add an option to prevent the app from doing this?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 Professional x64
Sync Type: titlebar taskbar hidden interface

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @Aaron Martone,

Is it happening on the primary monitor (is this what you call monitor 1) or it doesn't matter which monitor? We've seen some reports that if you add a second monitor into the mix, 1Password tends to not understand its boundary.

I tested with a single monitor with locked taskbar on top and 1Password is reappearing itself below the taskbar. So, I wonder if this has to do with the secondary monitor. Is there a way you can test with one monitor only to confirm the theory it is the second monitor complicating this for us? Many of us don't have multiple displays to test with.

Also, are you using a program to add a second taskbar since Windows 7 didn't have this support.

• Aaron Martone
    Aaron Martone
    Community Member

Hey Mike.

It happens on the Primary monitor, yes. I have a program called Divvy, which turns your screen into grids and allows you to quickly resize programs to that grid. Using it, I can quickly get 1Password to move to a position where its titlebar is free, but after I close the program and re-open it, it seems back to its old antics.

As for the second taskbar question, yes, I am using DisplayFusion to provide my second monitor a duplicate of the taskbar that's on the primary. I will try to power off the second monitor and see what happens (to my knowledge, Windows 7 has poor desktop management, where it acts in an unexpected manner when you power off a monitor vs. disconnecting it)

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @Aaron Martone,

I have a program called Divvy, which turns your screen into grids and allows you to quickly resize programs to that grid. Using it, I can quickly get 1Password to move to a position where its titlebar is free, but after I close the program and re-open it, it seems back to its old antics.

When I tested this by switching resolutions and resizing the desktop, 1Password did pop up under the taskbar but only when there isn't enough height for it to fit. Once I resize to fit, it automatically fixed itself below the taskbar, which means it is reacting properly the taskbar's positioning. I did the same by terminating 1Password and reopening it each single time, it fixed itself.

In fact, I moved the program below the screen's bottom, terminated 1Password, and moved the taskbar to the bottom, 1Password instantly moved itself above the taskbar.

I also tested Dizzy and it didn't cause any issues. DisplayFusion did something weird, 1Password sometimes restart in a different size but I can't reproduce it consistently, it might be related to their snapping feature.

So, for the purpose of the single desktop and recognizing the taskbar, it is working as expected. I'll see if I can find someone on our team with multiple displays to try to reproduce this.

to my knowledge, Windows 7 has poor desktop management, where it acts in an unexpected manner when you power off a monitor vs. disconnecting it

Right, the problem is, we can't exactly fight with Windows on fixing our placements as it could turn into something even worse. The worst thing we can do is fight against something that's not predicable because it means a wrong assumption can turn into a bad bug.

This discussion has been closed.