How to share and sync between team members [Dropbox is currently the best option]

lutz
lutz
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi,
we use 1password in a developer team with multiple persons with new keychain Format because modern WIN.
We have tested Synology Cloud Station and Subversion SVN.

Both are not a realy good solutions, because we must often merge files manually.
If 2 persons store/remove entries the indexfile "brand_x" is changed and we produce corrupt data if both changes are be saved at the same time.

Is there any best-practice to use one vault over multiple decives ans multiple users on the same time?

thanks so far

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Is there any best-practice to use one vault over multiple decives ans multiple users on the same time?

@lutz: The best advice I can give you here is...don't. 1Password simply wasn't designed with multi-user access in mind.

Both are not a realy good solutions, because we must often merge files manually. If 2 persons store/remove entries the indexfile "brand_x" is changed and we produce corrupt data if both changes are be saved at the same time.

Exactly. It's possible, but unless you're super careful with who's accessing what when, you can end up with corrupt data and, ultimately, data loss, if you don't have a solid backup. Never mind that it's just a hassle.

If you want to share a vault, you'll need to either use Dropbox Sync, or do something similar to it, where each user has their own copy of the vault which they can access, and then only changes are sync'd between them.

We've tested Dropbox extensively, and the reason we use it and recommend it is because its great when it comes to data integrity and reliability. And while you certainly don't have to use Dropbox yourself, I think that whatever solution you do choose needs to be based on similar principles so you don't lose important data. We each owe it to ourselves. :)

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

@brenty Do you plan a Solution for sharing a vault between different Teammembers?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@lutz: We already have a solution for this: Dropbox. However, we're always considering alternatives, both from the perspective of syncing and also sharing data more efficiently. Thanks for giving us a sense for how you'd like to use 1Password! Hopefully we'll be able to add additional flexibility in the future. :)

• lutz
    lutz
    Community Member

@brenty If we use 1 Dropbox Account with multiple Users we have the same problem.
    If 2 Peoples edit the vault at the same file, one of the index "brand" file wins and we lost data at this moment?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

If 2 Peoples edit the vault at the same file, one of the index "brand" file wins and we lost data at this moment?

@lutz: I'm not sure I follow. If you're all using the same database in a Dropbox folder on a shared drive, then yes, you'll have the same issues you would writing to a single shared database anywhere else.

The idea with Dropbox is that each user, perhaps even logged into the same account, has their own copy of the database, and then changes are sync'd to the Dropbox server and, finally, all the other devices. If that's what you're doing and you're still having this issue, you may need to contact Dropbox, as I can't imagine why that would be a problem. I use the same Dropbox account on all of my devices without issue. :(

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi guys,

@lutz, a groupware version of 1Password is something we'd like to do in the future as a lot of businesses have requested this support.

To expand on Brenty's post, Dropbox is handling all the conflict resolutions internally for you. It is based on the modification timestamps, Dropbox will upload everyone's copy and only use the latest modified file. Any conflicting copies will be put aside with the (conflict copy) attached to the file name, you can choose to manually resolve it if you want.

Note for the same reason, you can use any sync tool you want that has their own conflict resolution tool built in. You can choose how to handle the conflict resolution method. We have users using CloudStation to sync their data and we haven't heard of any corruption issues. Can you expand on this more?

Also, we would recommend you use different Dropbox account per user while sharing the same folder for everyone. If one of your users leaves the company, you would have to change the password each time rather than just revoking the access to the shared folder.

Not to mention, you would be better secured if every Dropbox.com user enables 2-step verification, one account with its own 2-step verification for dozens of users is not a good idea.

This discussion has been closed.