Sync and Bonjour?

Options

Whenever (I even updated to 4.6) I klick on WiFi Sync an error "bonjour missing" or so pops u. I do not want to have Bonjour on my computer, thats why it is not installed. What should I do? I intend to sync between Win 7, Android and Win 8 eventually.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @Emmess,

Wi-Fi sync is possible between a Windows PC and an iOS or Android device or a Mac and an iOS or Android device.
    It's not possible to use Wi-Fi sync between two Windows PCs. For more information about syncing and sync options, please check out the knowledge base article 'Sync options compared: Dropbox vs. iCloud vs. Wi-Fi'.

As for Bonjour, this protocol is required to make use of Wi-Fi sync. May I ask why you don't want Bonjour installed on your PC? It's a proven, open-source technology.

Cheers!

• Emmess
    Emmess
    Community Member
    Options

You may ask, of course. Reason is: Bonjour does not work. I installed it: service not running (it is not only not running, it is just not listet in the services list. but install finished w/o issues.). Therefore 1Password does not find such a service. I tried to deinstall: Bonjour told me it was only the 32Bit Version, therefore deinstall would not be possible. I made sure to download the 64bit version: same situation, no service even listet. Deinstall denied. So I deleted each and every of the appr. 200 entries in the registry. Reinstalled Bonjour again w/o problems: no such service in the services list. Therefore 1Password does not sync.

That is the reason why I never never never install anything what has to do anything with apple on my PC. Same hassle I hade with Itunes: terrible! Once you have that on the HD it NEVER may be removed again without brutal manual changes in the registry, and hours of work. Yes, the core of Bonjour once was open source. But included in Apple garbage it only wastes life.

Any idea?

Sync w/o usage of cloud is a must for me.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

You're done. It is either cloud sync or bonjour backed wifi sync.

You could sync the pcs using any file syncing tool but Android can't do that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Emmess: Indeed. Without Bonjour you won't be able to use Wi-Fi Sync. And while that's rather frustrating, if I'm in your position I'd want to find out what the problem is with installing Bonjour in the first place. Perhaps some security software is interfering?

Anecdotally, I install and uninstall iTunes, iCloud, Bonjour, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting fairly often for testing, and I haven't had to fiddle with the registry. I suspect that all these problems are related to a deeper issue. It's times like that when I ask myself "when is the last time I did a clean install?". But at the very least definitely investigate the cause of your installation issues, as that probably won't get better over time.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@RichardPayne, the Android app does support Folder Sync with the local storage, so if you use a sync tool that has its own app on the Android device, you can push the 1Password data there and configure 1Password to open it.

@Emmess, do you use your own sync tool to push data between computers and your Android device? If yes, you might have a better luck with that and using Folder Sync with Local Storage on the Android device. It might even work better than the Wi-Fi sync.

As for Bonjour, I know it doesn't help but we have a lot of users using Wi-Fi sync with Bonjour and we haven't heard of this issue once (well beside you now), Brenty is correct to point out that you might want to investigate why there is a problem with installing or uninstalling the apps, it sounds like you have systematic permission issues.

I've installed and removed Bonjour, iTunes and other Apple software on several dozens of PCs before, never had any issues, so this isn't a widespread issue.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the correction @MikeT.

• MikeT
    Options

No problem, I'm just glad I can help you sometime. :P

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

hehe, I'm not a Dropbox paranoid so I hadn't noticed the new functionality on Android.

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yea, that's one advantage that Android has over iOS but Google is making it harder to use SD cards over time.

Hopefully, it will fit Emmess' need for a local sync.

• SethRBeavers
    SethRBeavers
    Community Member
    Options

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled Bonjour services it is possible that it is installed but not running. To start Bonjour services after it is installed go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services > Bonjour Services > General / start service. Once this is done you should be able to go back to 1Password and start your wi-fi sync without the Bonjour error.

The reason I know this is because it just happened to me. @MikeT the cause of mine doing this is because I had disabled a lot of services that start at startup. Bonjour being one of them, so I would venture a guess that once I reinstalled it didn't do an auto start in services.

Hopes this helps,

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SethRBeavers: Wow! Thanks so much for that tip! I know it's possible to disable services in Windows, but that's probably the last place I would have suggested checking since it would (presumably) have to have been done intentionally. But you're absolutely right that the Bonjour service needs to be running, and it may help others with similar issues. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.