Merging Vaults

Options
CSchwang
CSchwang
Community Member

Hi Folks,

it seems that somehow I ended up with multiple 1Password faults without noticing. I now have:

• 1 vault: {1Password 5, Mac} <---Dropbox Sync---> {1Password, iOS (4 devices)}
  • 1 vault: {1Password 4, Windows} which I thought was syncing, but apparently didn't do so since upgrading from {1Password 3, Windows} (more than a year ago)

Naturally this is a bit of a problem :( . Any advice on how I might go about merging those two vaults? I know, I'll probably have to deal with lots of duplicates, but thinking long term, that's surely better than having to check two different vaults regularly.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I know, I'll probably have to deal with lots of duplicates, but thinking long term, that's surely better than having to check two different vaults regularly.

@CSchwang: I think we're in agreement here! While it can be a bit of a chore to sort out, I like to invest time in things like this to get them out of the way so I can get back to business.

The best way to merge the data is to do the following:

1. Create a backup of your Windows vault
    2. Place your Windows vault in Dropbox — anywhere, so long as it doesn't overwrite the other!
    3. Let Dropbox finish syncing the data
    4. On your Mac, create a fresh backup
    5. Go to Preferences > Sync and disable Dropbox sync (set to None)
    6. Turn Dropbox sync back on, but this time choose the Windows vault
    7. Choose "Merge with existing"
    8. (optional) rename/move the Windows vault (which has your merged data)
    9. Set up Dropbox sync on each device to point to the same (merged) vault

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• CSchwang
    CSchwang
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa. I'm impressed. I did that and 1Password handled it perfectly. I don't even see any duplicates. 1Password for Windows even autodetected the new vault in Dropbox without me having to do anything.

Really aweseome! Thanks for your help, brenty!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @brenty we're happy to hear that everything went smoothly :smile:

This discussion has been closed.