Code signature not identified [A bug in G-Data Internet tool, they'll issue an update to fix this]

Options
Ros
Ros
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am getting a notifier when I try to use iPassword that says - "Chrome is connected but its code signature could not be verified. Filling and other features are disabled until this issue is resolved." I have looked at the troubleshooting guide, and as for the suggestions there, Chrome is not updating, I do not use Chromium, I disabled my security software, but that made no difference, and I also restarted the iPassword Helper, again no difference. What can I do please?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Are you by any chance using G-Data Internet Security?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Ros,

Did you try restarting Chrome or your computer?

1Password is simply saying your Chrome browser is not what it is, thus it is blocking the connection from Chrome. 99% of the cases, Chrome modified itself when it silently updated itself in the background. That's why restarting Chrome often fixes it, it completes the update.

Did you recently install anything new on your PC that could modify Chrome?

If you can't figure this out, you can disable the code signature check in the main 1Password program's Help Menu > Advanced > Disable verify web browser code signature. Note this can put your data at risk because we can't verify the browser is what it is.

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks MikeT. I did restart Chrome, but that didn't work. Nothing new was installed, but, AlexHoffman, I am using G Data, and I did a program update on it a couple of hours ago. I've just been thinking that may have something to do with it. However, when I disabled G Data, I still got that notifier.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Ros,

For now, try disabling the code signature check to make sure it does work. We could be looking at a red herring in case disabling the check doesn't fix the problem.

Open the main program, unlock, go to the Help Menu > Advanced and select Disable verify web browser code signature. Restart your browser and see if it works.

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike T

I disabled the code signature check, and it's working. I'm very reluctant to leave the check disabled though.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ros: I understand completely. Unfortunately leaving it disabled is the only way to allow it to work if other software is preventing 1Password from validating the browser. Ultimately the solution is to not have other software performing what is essentially a man-in-the-middle attack on your computer, so it's definitely worth bringing up with the vendor.

• Roanoke
    Roanoke
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi!
    I have the same problem after an update to GData Total Security 2015 Ver. 25.1.0.7.
    And like Ros, disabling GData doesn't help.

Firefox 39.0; Windows 7 (64); 1Password 4.6.0.583 (AddOn 4.4.1)

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: good advice and I will take it up with the vendor. If the problem has been caused by the latest update to G Data, I can't be alone in this. I'm certain that was the cause too, I first noticed it on my laptop after the G Data upda

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

Don't know where the end of my post went to. I said I checked my desktop after the problem on my laptop. 1Password was fine. I then updated G Data on the desktop, and after that had the same 1Password problem. And I suspected I wasn't the only one Roanoke. We need to contact the vendor.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Roanoke: That makes sense. If GData is installing its own certificate or something similar in Windows or the browser (unfortunately fairly common these days), simply stopping the app won't make a difference; rather, you'd need to uninstall it to (hopefully) remove the phony certificate and get things functioning normally again — both for 1Password and anything else that might actually bother to verify a connection.

At the end of the day, we cannot prevent you from installing something like this on your system, or prevent it from interfering with security protocols, so you may need to contact the vendor for assistance. That said, we'll see if we can get an audience with them ourselves, but ultimately AgileBits is not their customer; you are.

@Ros: Are you also using this same version (GData Total Security 2015 Ver. 25.1.0.7)? It sounds like this might be the common element.

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: Yes, that's what I'm using, G Data Total Security 2015 Version 25.10.7

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming! We'll do some testing of our own and see if GData is willing to work with us on this. Sorry for the trouble!

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I've just sent an email to AgileBits!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ros: Thanks! I see we've received your email, and we'll get back to you if anything develops. :)

ref: LZT-93469-348

• Hello everybody,

G-Data—who have been very kind and responsive—have informed us that this particular problem is being caused by a bug in the web protection component.
    This bug not only affects the 1Password extensions in Firefox and Chrome but also the behaviour of a large number of websites.

The developers at G-Data are hard at work to get it fixed as quickly as possible and to issue an update to their customers.
    Until then, they recommend either deactivating the web protection component on a case-by-case basis or permanently until this bug has been squashed.
    They also recommend writing in to the G-Data support to get early access to a fix version once it's available.

We're waiting for news on the availability of a fix any day now and once we know anything, we will let you know.

Cheers,

Alex

• mr_bluescreen
    mr_bluescreen
    Community Member
    Options

Hello everybody,

I discovered an error with the code signing feature and the latest version of the Anti Virus programm "GDATA TotalProtection" and just whanted to let you know.

The code signature problem occurs cross different browsers (tested with latest Chrome and Firefox and blank user profiles) when using the latest version (25.1.0.8) of GDATA. Disabling the feature "Webschutz" (sorry I don't know what the software calls it in English) and restarting the 1Password Helper solves the problem on Google Chrome as well as on Firefox.

The "Webschutz" (maybe translateble with "Web security") isn't the main Firewall or AntiVirus section of the porgramm. I think this is the part of the software which permits the access to dangerous sites you may visit. (In this case, without installing an GDATA browser extension, the software blocks the webpage and shows an warning message)

Please let me know when I could reactivate this feature in GDATA.

Best regards,
    Tim

1Password Version: 4.6.0.584
    Extension Version: 4.4.2
    OS Version: Windows 7 (latest updates)
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@mr_bluescreen: Thanks for reaching out! I hope you don't mind, but I merged your post into an existing discussion on this issue.

Disabling the feature "Webschutz" (sorry I don't know what the software calls it in English) and restarting the 1Password Helper solves the problem on Google Chrome as well as on Firefox.

Indeed, thank you for sharing this, in case it might help others! We've already been in contact with GDATA regarding this issue, and it's my understanding that they plan to release an update to address it. But in the mean time, that's a great workaround for those affected. Cheers! :)

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

Yep - I've just done as mr_bluescreen suggested ( it's called Web Protection by the way! ), and it does fix the problem with Chrome. Can't say that I'm happy having it disabled, but hopefully GDATA will have a fix soon. Thanks @mr_bluescreen

• MikeT
    Options

That's great, thanks for letting us know!

• blackyttl
    blackyttl
    Community Member
    Options

There is already a fix available from Gdata without deactivating web scurity:
    Follow the link to download a small proggy from gdata and after start "change_files.exe" just fill with number 23 and restart the pc and set back web security activated. It works. Thanks Gdata
    Link: http://mirror01.gdata.de/dl_users/hotline/7Tage/change_files.exe

• MikeT
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hi @blackyttl,

Thanks! We're already hearing back from customers saying it is working with that patch and hopefully Gdata will push it soon to their product via an update.

• Ros
    Ros
    Community Member
    Options

That worked just fine. Great stuff - thanks for all your help.

• We're glad this issue has been fixed by G-Data. They did a great job.

This discussion has been closed.