1Password doesn't work in browsers after rebooting [Investigating]

Options
fortunehart
fortunehart
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Help.

1password extension button has stopped working in my Chrome browser. The ctrl shortcut keys don't work either,

I'm running McAfee, but its not blocking 1password.

I have to remove and reinstall the Chrome extension after each time the computer starts up and then everything is ok.

It packs up again if the laptop is restarted or goes to sleep.

Everything was ok... its only just started to happen and I can't think of any event that might of triggered it.

Any ideas please?

1Password Version: 4.5.0.575
Extension Version: 4.4.1.90
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• carlosleite
    carlosleite
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry about my English. My Chrome extension does not work properly when I turn on my computer. I have to remove it and then reinstall it to make it work everyday. What could be the cause of this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @Carloseite,

It sounds like 1Password Helper isn't auto-starting upon reboots. When you turn on the computer, can you open the main 1Password program, go to the Help Menu > Restart 1Password Helper, and then check if 1Password now works in Chrome?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fortunehart,

I've merged your post into this thread, can you read my previous post and see if that does work? It's not a solution yet but it can help tell us what the problem is.

• fortunehart
    fortunehart
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the fast feedback. At first I was going to say it hadn't worked, but after about 20secs the password dialog box popped up and everything seems to work fine.

• LauraR
    Options

@fortunehart - on behalf of @MikeT, you are very welcome. I'm glad all is well now.

• fortunehart
    fortunehart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Laura
    sorry, that a bit presumptious. I meant all is well once I restart the helper. ... but I need to do that every time I log in. That cant be right can it?

• LauraR
    Options

@fortunehart - sorry for my wishful thinking :-) Let's try reinstalling 1Password on your Windows PC -

• Click on Start > Control Panel > Programs&Features - find 1Password in the list and click on Uninstall.
    • Re-download from here -
    • https://agilebits.com/downloads

Please let us know if this helps.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fortunehart,

Did reinstalling 1Password helped? As I mentioned before, restarting 1Password Helper is only a workaround, we are investigating to figure out why Windows won't open 1Password Helper on launch. We're also working on an update to improve the reliability of starting 1Password Helper from our extension.

In the meantime, can you tell us if you use any program that modifies which programs can start upon reboots?

• fortunehart
    fortunehart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi .... no it hasn't made a difference.
    I'm not aware of any software that modifies which programs can start upon reboots. What sort of programs would these be?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @fortunehart,

Common optimization tools that claims that they can speed up your computer would have this option.

Since you said restarting Helper doesn't help, we need to analyze your system to see what's going on. Can you send us your diagnostic report? Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

@fortunehart Please follow these steps:

1. Reboot Windows
    2. Press: Ctrl+Shift+Esc
    3. Click on: Processes

Do you see a process named Agile1pAgent.exe?

I think security software on your system might maybe prevent our helper (aka Agile1pAgent.exe) from starting on system (re-)boot. Previously, this wasn't a problem for you as our web browser extension used to start our helper (when needed). This latter feature seems to be dead now.

Here's how you can start the helper manually from our desktop app: Help > Restart 1Password Helper

• fortunehart
    fortunehart
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT

email has now been sent.

thanks

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, we'll follow up to your email as soon as possible.

ref: EYS-62837-627

• OffGrid9
    OffGrid9
    Community Member
    Options

YOUR SUGGESTED FIX WORKED (for me, anyway).

It's been eight months since the last entry...I don't know if you ever found a solution for the problem(s) experienced by Fortunehart and Carlosleite. I just thought I'd give you guys another data point. I had the same problem, the 1pw toolbar icon stopped functioning today.

But for me, your suggestion (above) worked...so far, anyway. I went to the 1pw help menu and selecting [Restart 1Password Helper], and the button is now working again.

To test it, I closed and opened the Chrome browser, even restarted the PC. No problems, the button still works.

But even though your fix has worked for me, I still think you need to figure out why this happens. I don't know what caused the problem for me -- I haven't downloaded any new software or upgrades to old software since yesterday. I do use the Windows' automatic update feature, but I am always aware of any new updates. I am positive nothing has changed since yesterday. Also, my internet security software (Bitdefender IS 2016) doesn't appear to interfere with 1pw. So I have no clue as to what caused this malfunction.

By the way, I did find another work-around -- open the main 1pw window, scroll through the logins to one I want, select it, and in the lower panel, click on the "Auto-Type" button -- slow and painful, but it works.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@OffGrid9: Thank you so much for taking the time to share this! While it's impossible to say what could cause this to happen without being there (or perhaps even then), as you say, it's another data point. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you again, and hopefully we'll be able to make some sense of this in time.

Unfortunately 1Password (like most apps) doesn't have (or ask for) privileged access to the system, such that would allow it to stop something from preventing it from running. I don't have any reason to suspect BitDefender, but generally only "security" software and the OS itself will have the ability to determine what launches and what doesn't.

But anecdotally, this isn't a new problem for me with many apps that launch on startup. I've never been able to determine the cause, but I don't use BitDefender myself. I suspect it may simply be some sort of Windows issue, since it seems to happen across many apps and Windows versions on completely different systems. For example, while the original post referenced Windows 7, I've definitely encountered this on Windows 8 and 10 as well. Perhaps we'll find an answer someday. Thanks for your help! :)

This discussion has been closed.