1Password window pops up outside of the client area. Why!?

Options
b0rski
b0rski
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello there,

each time I login somewhere on a web site the 1Password window pops up but I can only see the lower right corner of that window. The dialog seems to think that the upper left corner of my Desktop is the middle of the screen and I have to use "Alt + Space" and then "M" to move the window with my keyboard because I can't even use my mouse to grab the title of the window to move it.

How do I fix that?

Kind regards
b0rski

1Password Version: 4.6.0.583
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LauraR
    Options

@b0rski - are you by chance using an external monitor when you see this?

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well this is a Windows PC so the monitor is external but I have only one monitor and I don't run software to emulate additional desktops or monitors.

• Interesting. Are you using some kind of window management software?
    There's another thread by a user who seems to be having a similar problem.

It would be good to get more information about this.

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    Options

I can't think of something that could cause this. Initially I was suspecting TeamViewer but even with TV stopped the problem persists.

• LauraR
    Options

@b0rski - I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

The diagnostic report is on its way.

ref: LRQ-47623-949

• MikeT
    Options

Thanks, we got the email and we'll reply to it as soon as possible.

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I am forced to bother you again. After upgrading to Windows 10 I was convinced that the problem is solved. The window showed correctly in the middle of the screen. Since 30 minutes however the window pops up on the bottom of the screen so I can only see the half of it and I have to pull it up (see attached screen shot).

• That's strange. And frustrating.

What resolution are you using on your PC?

• Kyabetsu
    Kyabetsu
    Community Member
    Options

Just chiming in because I'm having the same issue. I'm running Windows 7 and not using an external monitor.

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    Options

My resolution is 1920x1200.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kyabetsu, @b0rski: Just out of curiosity, what GPU/driver package are you running? I wonder if this may be due to display settings that are trying to be too clever for their own good and repositioning 1Password's windows. If 1Password is putting them dead center, but other software is offsetting this, it could explain the behaviour. Please let me know what you find! :)

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

This all in one package for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970.

Version: 353.30 WHQL
    Release Date: 2015.6.22
    Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
    Language: English (US)
    File Size: 259.76 MB

ref: MSE-35447-388

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@b0rski: Thanks! I'm afraid I don't have compatible hardware to test that myself, so I'm hoping to see if @Kyabetsu has a similar setup.

Have you changed any of Nvidia's display settings, or just using the defaults? Something is moving the windows around, and I'm hoping that we can narrow it down at least. :)

• b0rski
    b0rski
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the defaults. Strange thing is that the same installation package is used by other NVIDIA GPU owners and even more people should have similar problems.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @b0rski,

I agree, we should've hear from more nVidia users but as far as I am aware, you and Kyabetsu were the only two that bought it up.

I believe this is still specific to your specific configuration. I checked our last emails but didn't find this information, did you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or was it a clean install?

You said initially it didn't have this problem, do you recall if you did anything strange before it started showing up on the bottom of the screen, like changing resolutions, switching desktops or anything like that?

Can you try this:

1. When you see this problem, do not drag the window yet. Instead, go to the desktop and right-click to select Display Settings and on the Display Settings, scroll down to click on Advanced display settings to change the resolution.
    2. In the new resolution, bring the auto-save window to the middle of the screen and then change the resolution back to your default resolution.

Does this fix the problem at all?

• trackingguru
    trackingguru
    Community Member
    Options

I've started having this issue the past couple of days. Again, not every time. When I enrolled as a user here, the pop up window centered in my screen. Other times, it's been in the upper left corner, with no way to access or move it.

• Hi @trackingguru,

Did you try what I suggested in the post above yours, change the resolution to reset the positioning?

• trackingguru
    trackingguru
    Community Member
    Options

I'll try the next time it happens. Thank you.

• MikeT
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thanks, please do let us know if it works or not works. It did for most users that reported this.

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue exactly. Pop-up is at the bottom right of the 14" laptop monitor for my Windows 10 laptop which is almost "out of the box" for a week now. Any suggestions?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amswitzer: If you re-set the resolution in Display Settings, does that re-orient things? I sometimes run into odd issues like this after an update, since the display adapter drops into a low-res compatibility mode while its driver is installed. Changing the resolution and then setting it back to the original solves it. Please let me know what you find! :)

• amswitzer
    amswitzer
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I figured it out. It was a simple as moving the pop-up window to where I wanted it, then holding down ALT and SHIFT and clicking the "X" to close the window. A friend told me that this forces Windows to remember the size and position of the window you are closing. It seems to work.

• Hi @amswitzer,

Thanks for letting us know. That's the other trick we've been sharing with a few users who cannot move the dialog because the title bar is out of reach. Here's what we're saying:

1. With the auto-save dialog in focus, press ALT+Space on your keyboard and then press the Enter key. This will switch to Move action for the window.
    2. Now, use the arrow keys to move to the preferred location and press the Enter key to save the location.

You're saying in step 2, the users have to use Alt+Shift and click on X button, not just pressing the enter key. For some, pressing enter was enough.

We are still investigating these issues and hope to have a fix soon.

This discussion has been closed.