Sync with Drop Box or Wi Fi

Options
wings11
wings11
Community Member

If I am on the road and want to sync am I better off using Dropbox or Wi Fi since I cannot use I Cloud. If I am correct Wi Fi has to only be done locally in my office to sync when I am there? I'm not sure which is better for people on the go to sync with. Can you please explain advantages for me and suggestions.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.1
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wings11,

Wi-Fi Sync is indeed a local sync solution where the mobile device (iOS or Android) must be on the same network as the Mac or Windows machine. You'll notice I was quite specific with platforms there as Wi-Fi Sync only allows you to sync multiple mobile devices to a single Mac or Windows machine. Wi-Fi Sync is for those that don't like cloud services and want total control over their data and knowledge of exactly where it is at all times.

Dropbox is more flexible. It allows you to synchronise multiple machines/devices and they don't need to be in the same location. All you need is a working internet connection for syncing but not to use 1Password in a potentially unsynchronised state (so it isn't like 1Password only works if you have internet). I would say that unless you have a very strong preference that Dropbox sync will be easier and a lot more convenient for you. Those of us that use Wi-Fi Sync often don't mind a few extra hurdles and the contrived situations we create for ourselves as a result e.g. creating ad-hoc networks in the middle of an airport to allow for syncing to the mobile device.

We use Dropbox on a professional level for sharing of data secured by 1Password and Dave himself keeps everything in Dropbox. If he trusts it I do too :smile:

I don't know if that has answered your question in a satisfactory manner or not but if you have any follow up questions or areas I've not covered in enough depth please do say and we'll do our best to resolve that :smile:

This discussion has been closed.