sdopher
sdopher
Community Member

My Specifics:

1Password 5
Version 5.3.2 (532001)
Agile Web Store
Mac OS X 10.10.4

I am no longer able to get my iOS devices to sync over WiFi. I am getting a "Sync Problem " error: The operation couldn't be completed. Socket is not connected.

What do you suggest to repair?

TIA,

Steve

1Password Version: 5.3.2 (532001)
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The usual reason for that error is that some antivirus or firewall is blocking the communication required for wifi sync. Are you using any antivirus or firewall app?

It is possible one of these knowledge base articles may help you:

Configuring a firewall or proxy on your Mac

Configuring Sophos

If none of that helps please try rebooting your Mac and your iOS devices and, finally, if that doesn't help, try rebooting the router.

Stephen

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@sdopher: Indeed. It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general (as I am sure we all know from experience!) It depends on every link in the chain, and the weakest can always cause it to break. Please try the following:

1. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    2. Restart OS (both devices)
    3. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    4. Hard-reset router
    5. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    6. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    7. Disable software firewall (OS or 3rd party — just turning it off and back on again can help in many cases where traffic is being blocked in error)
    8. Disable security software
    9. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

You can also set up an ad-hoc connection to eliminate the router as the problem:

How to create an ad-hoc wireless network

OS X Firewall settings

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can always use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.