Password change and selection

Options
DanNider
DanNider
Community Member

Ok. So I have my various passwords stored on a piece of paper (not safe). I'd like to store them on the site but I would also like to change them to better passwords. How is that done? Does the program automatically set new better passwords if requested? My existing passwords are variations on a similar theme. Please help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

1Password will not store anyone's passwords on their site. Part of the security with this application is that only you control what happens to your data. AgileBits don't store it anywhere and they cannot restore it for you if you should lose it. Also, you set your own master password, which only you know, and if you forget that, no one will be able to help you regain access. This is all for your own protection, but it does require some thought. You will want to store your master password someplace secure, perhaps a safe deposit box, or something similar.

As for resetting your passwords to something more secure, 1Password is a wizard at doing that. It won't change your passwords automatically, though. You would have to visit each site where you have credentials and use whatever process that site has for changing your password. 1Password can then automatically generate a new secure password and store it securely when you're finished with the change process.

There is a lot of helpful information about all of this in the documents on the 1Password support site, but for now, perhaps it would be most useful for you to read Getting Started there.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DanNider,

That's a pretty nice response from hawkmoth and the link to our guide will probably be of interest to you. Now you may very well have a few follow up questions or want something in particular described in a bit more detail. If that's the case please just say and we'll do our best to do so :smile:

This discussion has been closed.