Vaults, Folders, Tags

Options
marlene
marlene
Community Member

What is the difference between the three... vaults, folders and tags?
When inputting my husband's infos, should I use folders?
I'm not understanding what tags are for. (Providing examples would help. The same goes for folders and vaults.)

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 530029
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Vaults, Folder, Tags

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @marlene,

A Vault is your basic storage container for all your items (Logins, Credit Cards, Secure Notes, etc.). Everything you have goes into the Vault. However, you can have multiple vaults, and this allows you to maintain separation of items. For example, you might want your main vault to be your personal vault, and also maintain a Work vault where you store work-related items. But there are other ways to manage this separation, and you've hit upon them already with Folders and Tags.

See this article and its sub-articles regarding Folders & Tags. Also, here's a nice discussion regarding Folders.

Tags are useful when you want to mark some items for use via Smart Folders. A Smart Folder is simply a query-based view of your items - it is a virtual folder that shows you items that match the specified query.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @marlene,

I'm not sure I can explain it any better than MrC has above! Please let me know if you have any questions after reading his post, and the articles that he has linked to. I'd love to keep chatting about organization if you would like any clarification. :)

This discussion has been closed.