How do I take my current vault on Windows and put it on my Mac?

From my readings it would appear that going from Windows to Mac isn't all that compatible. And no I don't have an ipad or iphone that I'm also using. Just Windows to Mac. How is it done.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tylerdavis217: Indeed, just follow the Dropbox setup instructions in the guide RichardPayne linked, and you should be good to go. Both 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac use the same vault format, but I'd be curious what 'readings' you were referring to in case our documentation is not clear enough somewhere. Thanks! :)

• tylerdavis217
    tylerdavis217
    Community Member

I am on my MAC following your instructions. I am using dropbox. I select "I am already a user of 1 password" I click the drop box radial button and search for the vault but no where in my dropbox acount am I fining the agilekeychain. I can't figure out how to get agilekeychain into my drop box account so that it can download and sync. Help. Thanks

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You need to follow the instructions on Windows first. That's what will place the agilekeychain in Dropbox in your case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tylerdavis217: Indeed, you won't be able to have 1Password load your existing vault on your Mac if it, well...does not exist there. So set up Dropbox Sync on your PC:

Enabling Dropbox Syncing (Windows)

And then set it up on the Mac so 1Password can load your vault there once it syncs from Dropbox:

Enabling Dropbox Syncing (Mac)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions! :)

• tylerdavis217
    tylerdavis217
    Community Member

Ok. I am reviewing your suggestions further. Something I didn't mention is that I am already succesfully using 1password on my windows computer AND on my ipad. So I can't figure out why I can't on my Mac. Anyways I went through the instructions you gave and I can confirm the following:
    1. My "move to dropbox" button IS greyed out.
    2. I have checkd to see if my vault is already in dropbox. And it appears to be there. I have opened the Preferences and General window to see if my path is there and it reads C:\Users\tobyd_000\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password 2nd try.agilekeychain.

So please tell me what you think.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tylerdavis217:

My "move to dropbox" button IS greyed out.

If you've already got your vault syncing between the PC and the iPad (not sure where that came from, since you said you didn't have iOS devices in your original post), then you already have your vault in Dropbox...so 1Password won't offer to move it there.

I have checkd to see if my vault is already in dropbox. And it appears to be there. I have opened the Preferences and General window to see if my path is there and it reads C:\Users\tobyd_000\Dropbox\Apps\1Password\1Password 2nd try.agilekeychain.

Bingo! So far so good! :pirate:

As for your Mac, the first rule of Dropbox is install Dropbox. Have you done this already? It isn't clear from your posts what steps you've actually taken on the Mac at this point, so any insight you can give will be appreciated — and ultimately allow me to suggest next steps. One you have Dropbox A installed and B fully sync'd to your Mac, you can even simply double-click your vault there to open it in 1Password, probably under ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/1Password 2nd try.agilekeychain. Or, simply follow the instructions here since you have your vault in Dropbox on the PC already (but again, you do need to have Dropbox itself set up on your Mac first!):

Sync existing Dropbox data

Now, since it is named "2nd try", I feel I should ask: do you have multiple 1Password vaults in Dropbox? That could cause some confusion when it comes to syncing all devices to the same one, so if you have others that you don't want or need, you may want to delete them (or at the very least get them out of Dropbox).

Please let me know. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.