Vault not synced

Options
stegor
stegor
Community Member

Hi, I am using 1Password across 3 devices: desktop (work), desktop (home), and iPhone. I primarily use and set everything up from my (work) desktop and sync to the other 2 devices via Dropbox. Everything seems just fine on the iPhone, but on the (home) desktop, my secondary vault does not seem to exist.

I cannot toggle between primary and secondary vaults via browser extension on my (home) desktop, nor in my 1Password5 desktop app. Dropbox is up to date on syncing. If I go to my Dropbox folder and click the ".agilebitskeychain" file for my secondary vault, all it does is open my 1Password5 desktop app, within which the vault does not seem to exist.

How do I access my vault?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:dropbox-troubleshooting-verify-uploads

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stegor,

So if I've understood correctly everything is working normally across both your iPhone and your work machine and just to confirm, you run Mac both at work and home?

So the first thing to quickly check is what vaults 1Password for Mac on your home machine is aware of. If you enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Sync tab you will see a list of the known vaults on the left hand side and I suspect it might just say Primary there. The Primary vault should be selected and on the right hand side it should say you're syncing to Dropbox as well as confirming it is syncing to the correct Agile Keychain.

If this is all correct, can you confirm what you see when you double click on the Agile Keychain for your secondary vault for me please. I would expect it to open a small window in 1Password titled Create New Vault which in this case really means add this Agile Keychain as a new vault on this copy of 1Password. After clicking the Create Vault button you should find all of the stuff that works on your work Mac (assuming that's what you're running there) should now work here. You can use ⌘2 to switch to your secondary vault and ⌘1 to return to your Primary vault.

Does that help resolve the issue at all for you?

• stegor
    stegor
    Community Member
    Options

aHA. So several times I double clicked the Agile Keychain and it did nothing but open my 1Password desktop application. Finally I clicked it and it opened the dialog box that you explained. It was briefly confusing as it prompted me to "Create a new vault" as you describe. Though in reality, I am not "creating" a new vault, just adding one that has already been created. It would be great if they made that part a little more clear.

And in general, if I create a vault on one computer, my expectation would be that it would simply "sync" between devices and be accessible on all my devices. Seems bizarre that it would have to be "created" everywhere?

Thanks for your help!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stegor,

The screen could be a bit clearer you are correct. In a way we are creating a new local vault which is then synchronised to that Agile Keychain but we do need to remember to ensure it the wording makes sense for everybody and not just those who spend all day in the code :wink: A better title might be something like "Locally add vault and set up synchronisation to secondary_vault.agilekeychain", what do you think?

I'm not sure we'll ever want to automatically have 1Password attempt to add any and all Agile Keychains it finds though. People share vaults with others and there will be people that only want to access certain vaults with certain devices. I see your point of view too of course, I'm just not sure what would be a good answer that satisfies all likely styles of use.

At least we managed to get it working for you now though as we debate the details :smile:

• stegor
    stegor
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, thanks so much for addressing my suggestion. I do think that "add" vault makes WAY more sense than "create" vault from a user standpoint in a non-code context. I hear what you're saying about not adding all vaults automatically to all devices. Maybe when you first create a new one there could be some sort of prompt for adding it to the different devices that you're using 1Password on?

Additionally, while I have your ear (hah), could you guys make friends with Instagram? They don't have a built-in way to toggle between accounts and trying to log out of one Instagram account and log into another requires opening the 1Password iOS app, signing in to that, then tapping "favorites" then tapping Instagram, then copying my password, then switching apps, then pasting it in. The fact that there is no innate way to do is just feels really clunky and frustrating. Too many taps! :P

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stegor,

I like that idea, we need a small window afterwards, something to say that's this side done, now you need to add it everywhere else. That sounds like the job for the designers plus docs team as to the best way of doing it - thank you :smile: As we spend all day amongst the KB articles and guides it can be easy to forget how others use it, so your input is appreciated!

The lovely @megs here uses Instagram I'm sure. I don't know if we hold any sway but who knows, maybe a smile and a pretty please could result in support for our 1Password iOS Extension. Due to how extensions work in iOS that's how it has to be done, they add support for our extension by adding a small amount of code to their app. That would call up the same extension you might have used already used in Safari and you don't have to leave the Instagram app to use it. If having more than one Instagram account is commonplace I could see how that would be appreciated. Fingers crossed!

This discussion has been closed.