Chrome Extension Installation [Resolved later after cleaning up malware and disabling Norton temp]

rosti57
rosti57
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am attempting to add the Chrome Extension from the 1Password browser menu. - it takes me to another screen with a l;arge Green Button to intiate the installation. An error dialog apprears, followed by what appears to be virus warning screen. I'm not sure where to go from here

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:chrome extension installation error

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rosti57,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Could you provide us with the information we requested when you first posted?

Also, please take a screenshot of the error you are seeing and post it with your reply. It sounds like you might just have an overzealous "security" app — antivirus, anti-malware, etc. — on your machine.

We'll get it sorted out, though. :)

• rosti57
    rosti57
    Community Member

Here's the additional info:
    1Password 4 Windows
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Screenshots:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for providing that screenshot, @rosti57. That is very helpful. The red box in that screenshot looks like a simple error message from our site. It doesn't appear to a dialog box from another app. Or is there another message that comes up as well?

1. What sorts of security software (antivirus, anti-malware, etc.) do you have installed?
    2. Does it make a difference if you temporarily disable them?
    3. Does it make a difference if you install the 1Password extension directly from the Chrome Web Store? (That's actually where our website loads the extension from, but perhaps there is an issue which only surfaces using inline extension installation.)
    4. Are you able to install any Chrome extension? Here is another one called "Save to Pocket" you can try installing.
  • rosti57
    rosti57
    Community Member
    1. Norton Security
    2. No - I tried it again and the attached pop-up screen appears which locks the computer until I force close Chrome.
    3. No - error message appears - see attached:
    4. No - Same error as in #3
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@rosti57,

It appears that your machine may already be infected with malware. Be sure that you DO NOT call those phone numbers under any circumstances.

It looks like it might be this (which has steps for removal):

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/ads-by-unisales-removal/

I've moved your post to the Windows category in case you need more assistance. Someone on our Windows team will be able to better assist you, but our focus is on 1Password support not removing malware. So you may need to contact someone in your area if you can't get it removed easily. I think we should be able to help you, but I just wanted to mention that up front in case it comes to that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015

@rosti57: I'll back khad up on this 100% (albeit with some additional emphasis):

It appears that your machine may already be infected with malware. Be sure that you DO NOT call those phone numbers under any circumstances.

Words to live by. Essentially when a company/entity that you don't have a prior relationship with (as you would your antivirus provider) is offering you software or services, it's wise to be suspicious. After all, how would they know if your computer is infected unless they are A somehow responsible or B simply trying to convince you that it is so they can sell you something?

That said, I am convinced that there is a real problem, since strange webpages should not be opening spontaneously. Ever. And installing a Chrome extension into Chrome through the Chrome Store which is hosted by Google will only result in an error if something else is interfering.

As an AgileBits team member, I'm not going to try to sell you virus removal software or services; but I can tell you that there is some problem on your computer that needs to be addressed.

Bleeping Computer is a great resource with a strong community behind it where you can find a lot of information and tools for malware removal if you want to go the DIY route. Otherwise it may be best to take your PC to a local repair shop for help if it isn't something you're comfortable doing yourself.

And no matter what, backup your data before you do anything!

And just to add some additional information, there could be one or more of a few things happening here, but the crux of the matter in regard to 1Password and Chrome is this:

• Chrome extensions need to be signed and installed through the Chrome Store (which is what our download page links to)
    • An extension being downloaded from an unverified source (or an extension that cannot be validated) will result in an error such as the one you're receiving
    • Chrome itself, if modified, will not be able to install extensions properly or validate with 1Password...so even if you were able to successfully install the extension, it will not function properly until the issue is addressed
    • And last but certainly not least, if your system is infected by malware of any kind, it is unwise to use it for anything sensitive until it can be cleaned up and restored to a safe state

I do not mean to alarm you; I simply want to impress upon you the importance of ensuring that you get your computer disinfected as soon as possible to minimize damage. So long as you immediately clean it up yourself, get help from a friend, or take it to a professional, you'll be able to put these problems behind you so you can rest easy knowing that only you have control of your machine once again — as it should be. :)

• rosti57
    rosti57
    Community Member

...I ran the virus removal software as suggested to remove any malware, then suspended Norton firewall temporarily. I was then able to install the Chrome extensions successfully direct from the 1Password utility. Thank you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rosti57: Excellent! Thank you so much for the update, and sharing your experience. It may be that others can benefit as well! I'm glad that it was (seemingly) a straightforward fix in your case.

As always, it's my pleasure to be of any help, so you are more than welcome. And be sure to reach out if you run into any other issues. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.