SplashID Import Questions

Options
gadgetfan2014
gadgetfan2014
Community Member

I am about to import my SplashID 8 database into 1Password. I will be doing the export/import on my iMac. I have a few questions.

Mac OS X 10.10.4
1Password 5.3 (530029)
SplashID 8.0.2.842

iOS 8.3
1Password 5.4.3
SplashID 8.0.8 (838)

Windows 7 SP1
1Password 4.6.0.583

Thanks!!

1Password Version: 5.3 (530029)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.4, iOS 8.3, Win 7 SP1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm afraid I can't answer your specific questions about importing from SplashID, but while you wait more expert help, I think it will be worth your while to consider checking out the suite of converters written by a fellow dedicated user, @MrC. They have helped many new users get their data into 1Password without much trouble, including migrants from SplashID.

You can read about them in this thread here on the forum:

MrC's Convert to 1Password Utility

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @gadgetfan2014 ,

By all means, use the converter to get all your SplashID records imported with the highest fidelity.

You can use the new converter AppleScript helper in the 1.06 version posted in the _testing folder in my AgileBits Utilities area. It makes the conversion process pretty simple. Follow the directions in the first post in the link provided by @hawkmoth above, but use the version in the _testing folder.

The currently select vault will be the one where the import occurs when you do a File > Import.

I don't think there is a fixed limit of vaults - you probably don't want that many. I've had 5 or 6 for testing purposes.

Not sure about the renaming of vaults.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gadgetfan2014 ,

I hope that MrC's converter is helping you to get your data into 1Password! I'd be happy to help answer your other questions.

When I choose File, Import, do the entries get imported into whichever Vault is currently active?

As MrC says, files will be imported into the active vault.

Is there a limit on number of Vaults in Mac, Windows, iOS?

There is no limit on the number of vaults that you have, although I recommend using vaults only for the higher level organization. Because you do need to switch between these vaults, you may not want to have a whole lot of them. (My current count is 7 - between various work vaults, family vaults and testing vaults.)

Does renaming a vault still require tricks documented in these:

Unfortunately yes. We do not have a simple way to edit a vault's details after creation at this time. We know that it's a popular request, and we are considering it. I'd be happy to add a vote for you to the issue in our internal tracker.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns.

ref: OPM-900

• gadgetfan2014
    gadgetfan2014
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @hawkmoth, @MrC, and @Megan! I will use MrC's converter. I am planning to try the --modified option, since I love being able to sort on date modified. Is that something I can set if I drag to the new AppleScript_Conversion_Helper, or do I need to go command line?

• gadgetfan2014
    gadgetfan2014
    Community Member
    Options

Here's what I am doing with vaults: I started to switch to 1 Password under ver 4, but life intervened and I stopped. I have a primary vault with a few test entries in it that is synced via iCloud across my Mac and iOS devices, another vault on my Mac, unsynced, that has my first attempt at importing a CSV from SplashID under ver 4, that is not too bad, but I think I can do better with MrC tools. So I thought I'd import into a new vault on my Mac, having converted with MrCs tools, and when satisfied, select the entire contents of that vault and use the share, move command to move everything to the Primary Vault. Is this OK, or is there a better way to go about it. I have ~1,100 entries. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@gadgetfan2014 ,

I am planning to try the --modified option, since I love being able to sort on date modified. Is that something I can set if I drag to the new AppleScript_Conversion_Helper, or do I need to go command line?

The easiest way for you to do this, without editing the script file, is to run the AppleScript helper once. It will open the Terminal, construct the proper command, and then execute the conversion. With Terminal still open, just use the Up Arrow key to recall the previous command (which will be the conversion command), and add a space and then the --modified command line option, and then hit Return. This will rerun the command with the new option added. FYI: The AppleScript helper just builds the proper command line for you, and executes it.

• gadgetfan2014
    gadgetfan2014
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC, Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options

I think you should be able to move all the items from one vault to another, after you've done your inspection of the converted data.

• gadgetfan2014
    gadgetfan2014
    Community Member
    Options

@MrC, Your AppleScript Helper worked a treat, including your tip to run in Terminal a second time to add the --modified option. Thanks!

(I had also tried the File, Import options inside 1PW, but they failed each time with some variant of compliant about UTF-8 -- even after also trying TextEdit and TextWrangler to convert to UTF-8. So your tools are a lifesaver!)

Everything is is, looks good and is syncing across all devices via iCloud.

Many thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options

Excellent! You're welcome, and thanks for the follow-up, @gadgetfan2014.

This discussion has been closed.