Do you copy 1Password password & change within each account?

Options
jireynolds
jireynolds
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

Once you log in to your accounts and set up the 1password for each, do you then copy those and change the password within each specific account? For example, when I added my Facebook account, 1password generated my new password, but I can still log in using my old password on other devices. So, do I go to setting in Facebook and copy and paste the new 1password password as a new password within the settings? Please allow me to fall under the: 'there are no stupid questions' rule here. And thank you in advance to anyone who answers this.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jireynolds,

Password management is still pretty new for most people so there are no stupid questions while you get used to it :smile:

We don't currently have the capability to change a password for a website directly from 1Password. The reason is because there is no standardisation when it comes to login pages, let alone password change pages. For such a feature to work it would have to be constantly tested to ensure the feature still worked as each website may change at a moments notice.

I think this page of our guide might help explain how we can assist with password changes, the page in question is Changing a saved password. We should detect any page that meets the format of three password fields (one for your old one, two for the new as it's always safest to ensure the same password was 'typed' in for both). That isn't to suggest that's the only time, but that's the ideal change password page as it is so distinct.

Don't worry though, if you use Password Generator to create a new password and 1Password doesn't offer to update an existing Login all is not lost. We always store a generated password as a Password item in 1Password until we see that it has been saved in a Login item for that site. So if we don't offer to save try looking in the Password item category. You can then either update the Login item manually or try and get 1Password to update your Login item by logging out and logging back in with the new password.

On that note, I trust 1Password with anything important - everything is in there. If I lose my vault I'm utterly screwed. Still, when I'm changing a password I always make a point of changing it, logging out and testing the updated Login item so I know I don't get any surprises down the road. I've been caught out by sites before doing all sorts of odd things. One time I had to reset my password 4-6 times as I discovered all the limitations on password strength they had before I finally got one to stick. Much better to discover that at the time rather than later down the road I feel.

Anyway, if that page doesn't help please do let us know and if you can help point out where it isn't clear and we'll do our best to elaborate and expand on it :smile:

This discussion has been closed.