Vault in shared user folder does not synchronize

elgednor
elgednor
Community Member

I am sharing a secondary vault with a separate user on the same computer. It is saved in the shared user folder. When changes are made on one side they are not sychronize with the other. What's the problem? Also how to synchronize more frequently or manualy. It seems 1Password decides to do so whenever it wants.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: None

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @elgednor ,

It sounds to me like this might be a permissions problem. In order for 1Password to sync properly, all users must have read and write permissions for that shared folder, and the settings that this shared folder has by default will not be sufficient.

We're going to enter a command into the Terminal app to give this folder some better permissions. Here's what you'll do:

• Open 'Terminal' (you can find this via Spotlight search)

• Copy this gibberish and paste it into the Terminal window: sudo chmod -R +a "everyone allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity,file_inherit,directory_inherit" /Users/Shared

• Hit Enter and the changes will be applied.

Now your Shared folder will have the proper permissions and changes should sync to all user accounts on your computer.

Also how to synchronize more frequently or manualy. It seems 1Password decides to do so whenever it wants.

1Password will update the sync file location whenever data is changed. There should be no need to sync manually. Let's sort out this permissions issue and then we can see if 1Password is still slow to sync.

• elgednor
    elgednor
    Community Member
    edited July 2015

No it didn't work. It didn't seem to change the permissions anyhow. I'll try again later.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @elgednor ,

I apologize if I wasn't more clear. You won't see any feedback in the Terminal window that changes have been made. The best way to test this is to create a new item in 1Password on your first account and then log into your second user account and see if it transfers over.

• elgednor
    elgednor
    Community Member

Thank you Megan. It worked. Somehow even the older items updated when I turned off the computer and restarted this morning and created that new item you suggested. Re Terminal, I was not refering to any feedback there but in the information window of the Shared folder: nothing indicated a change in the permissions of the users listed. Everyone could and still can read and write in it. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@elgednor: Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Megan, you are most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but be sure to reach out if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.