alphabet to navigate?

timlance
timlance
Community Member

I could sorely use a better way to navigate through all my logins. On iOS we have the alphabet on the right. I want to say on older versions of the desktop client we also could use the letters. Now we only have the search field or scroll wildly. Any chance for such? Am I missing something?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @timlance,

That alphabet index is a feature built into the iOS operating system itself, not specifically coded by us in our 1Password app, which is why you don't see it in 1Password on other platforms.

The closest approximation in OS X is probably what my teammate sjk describes in his forum post here. He's describing 1Password 4 for Mac, but it works the same in version 5: select any arbitrary item in the item list and then, on your keyboard, type the letter you want to jump to.

You can also use Favorites for quicker access to items you use more often, or make use of the many "sort by" options in the item list. Other tools like folders, tags and smart folders may be helpful for you as well in terms of big-picture organizing.

I hope this helps! :)

• timlance
    timlance
    Community Member

Yep. I was just so sure some older version of 1Password had an alphabet "sidetone." I'll use the suggestions. Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @timlance. Happy to help. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any past versions of 1Password for Mac that had this feature, but if you can specify a version number, we could look into it. Meanwhile, hopefully this workaround is comparable. :)

• timlance
    timlance
    Community Member

All I remember is when I updated to v4 I noticed I missed them - doesn't mean there was something there. Off the top of my head it might have been something to do with an iOS version and I confused the two. I really can't say anything more specific.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Could be just a mix-up; no worries. For now, this is an iOS-specific feature, but if Apple ever adds it into OS X, then we'll likely have it in our Mac app. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@timlance: I think it may be because many other apps started having an A-Z scrollbar on the right in that timeframe, and if you're like me you may have started using iOS devices more frequently then as well. Thanks for letting us know you'd like to see a similar feature in 1Password for Mac! :)

• timlance
    timlance
    Community Member

Thanks for considering.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @timlance. Enjoy your weekend! :sunglasses:

This discussion has been closed.