Problems with installing 1password on a fresh Win10 install [Issue is with W10, not 1Password]

lpmarkiewicz
lpmarkiewicz
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello

I upgraded to Win10 without carrying over any of the user files/programs.

I downloaded the 1password-4.6.0.584.exe file from your website.

When I try to run it, I get "The system cannot find the path specified." error. This happens whether I try to open it via Edge, IE or Opera download managers as well as Windows Explorer. AFAIK the path is not longer than 256 characters, which is something that has been a problem with other files in the past.

I know this is a very poor bug report, but the error message is very unhelpful and I am not sure how to provide more feedback. In tech support forums, often I see a sticky with suggestions for diagnostics procedures. I checked the stickied FAQs, but came up short.

I am stumped, because I downloaded and installed all the software that I use and it has worked flawlessly and 1password is the only exception. I am 100% dependent on the app and extensions, but I also really like my first impression of Windows 10 and I'd be grateful if there is a way around this issue other than roll back to 7 or 8.1.

PS I have double check that I have admin privileges on my account, I also tried to run the installer through "run as administrator" with the same result.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.584.exe
_Extension Version: couldn't install the app so no extensions
_OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
_Sync Type:
Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @lpmarkiewicz,

Do you have a anti-malware solution installed? It sounds like your file got removed by an anti-virus solution as it detected a false positive. We just saw this identical report a few days ago with Norton.

If you do have an anti-malware solution installed, check its logs to see if it removed any 1Password files. If yes, try to undo that action and whitelist the file to run it.

• lpmarkiewicz
    lpmarkiewicz
    Community Member

I only had the stock Windows Defender virus protection and Malwarebytes. I removed Malwarebytes just in case, but it didn't help. At the end of the day, my problems seem to be more of a Microsoft support issue rather than AgileBits.

I managed to work around the problem for now. For whatever reason installing a number of programs has gone without any problems, but at some point I couldn't install anything that got downloaded to the C partition (1 password, ASUS AI Suite). When I moved the Opera download folder to a different partition on a different drive, 1 password installer starts and completes without issue. So that's great. Why I had no problems with "cannot find the path" during the first dozen or so installs (Opera, Steam, Skype, etc.) and then I started having issues, I still have no idea. Something corrupted in the registry?

Sad thing is now I can't get Dropbox to install, so no sync. Installer launches, gets to the end, closes without throwing up any error message and no Dropbox folder gets created despite Dropbox being listed as an installed program in Control Panel list. Oh well, quirks of a new OS. I downloaded the keychain folder to my PC so at least I have access to my sites. I'll browse around the web to see whether I can do something about it, but without any sort of error message, probably not going to have much success.

The install process for Windows 10 is so fast that I'll probably just end up reinstalling and hope that helps. Judging from the support forum, no one seems to share my problem. Or you just don't have many Windows users who jump on a OS upgrade on day one :blush:

• Hi @lpmarkiewicz,

14 million W10 installs in the first 24 hours, which is impressive. That's with a lot of folks reporting missing upgrade icon in their system tray and other related issues.

I installed W10 in a virtual machine as a clean install and I didn't notice any issues installing random programs and store apps. I have W10 in a separate VM that was upgraded from W8 and that did have some weird glitches but nothing like yours.

I hope you figure it out, please do let us know if you got it fixed in case our other customers here might have the same problem.

This discussion has been closed.