iCloud Drive on Windows [Can be used between computers but not supported with mobile devices]

rbock87
rbock87
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I am currently syncing my vault on my iOS8 iPhone 6 with iCloud (iCloud Drive is turned on), but the vault does not show up on my windows device when I look at iCloud drive using the iCloud 4.1 Windows program. Should it be showing up there? Do you have any plans for using iCloud Drive in such a way that it can be used through Windows?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @rbock87,

We do not use iCloud Drive, we use the other iCloud Sync service, CloudKit. Unfortunately, Apple doesn't make this clear to people but these are two separate services under the iCloud umbrella. In fact, iCloud Drive runs on top of CloudKit.

Right now, CloudKit is not supported outside of Apple's App Stores (it uses your iCloud account's private database to store your data). There are mentions from Apple to expand outward with their upcoming CloudKit Web Services but we don't know when it'll be ready and if it will be enough for our uses.

Right now, this means you cannot use iCloud Drive with iOS devices but you can use Wi-Fi Sync or Dropbox. iCloud Drive can be used between Macs and Windows as a folder sync but iOS doesn't support syncing via iCloud Drive well. So, here are the options you can use based on your needs:

1. Dropbox to sync with every platform that 1Password is on
    2. Use iCloud Drive between your Windows PCs (and Macs if you have them) while using Wi-Fi sync to sync to your iOS devices
    3. Use Wi-Fi only between your windows PC and iOS device
  • rbock87
    rbock87
    Community Member

Thanks MikeT. That pretty well clears it up.

• You're welcome. If there's anything we can do for you, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.