Suddenly 1pw login opens in new window instead of tab [Issue caused by a config in Firefox Profile]

gorham
gorham
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

All of a sudden when I go to log on to a site in Firefox, the link opens in a new window. It has always opened in a new tab and that's what I prefer but I can't find a setting that could have changed it or with which I can change it back. If I right click/open from the desktop, it behaves fine and opens in a new tab.

This is annoying especially when I have to use a series of logons for a secure site.

Hope you can help. And thanks.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.584
Extension Version: 3.9.20 (from v.3)
OS Version: Windows 7 64-bit
Sync Type: none
Referrer: kb-search:logon opens in new window

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @gorham,

Can you try this; open Firefox, click on the 1Password icon on the Firefox's toolbar, and go to Settings > Open Tab In, does it show New Tab as selected? If not, select it now and see if this works.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Hi and thanks for the quick response.

I don't have that at all; in fact I don't have most of what your screenshot shows. When I click on settings, I get this:

If I follow the logins bar, I get this:

Does that give you any clue?

Thanks for trying; I expect you'll solve it. You usually do. 8-)

-G.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @gorham,

Sorry, I missed the part that you were using the older version of the extension, my screenshot is of the 1Password 4.4 extension, not 3.9.20.

I don't recall we've added that option in the 3rd version. I just tested this and it is opening in new tabs only for me.

Have you changed anything recently in Firefox settings to change how new tabs are opened? Try going to Firefox's Options > General to check the box next to Open new windows in a new tab instead. See if this will work.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

No tab changes that I can think of. I already had new windows set to new tabs.

But I have just realized something that may help. If I'm already on the log-in page for a given site, I can use 1pw from the toolbar just fine. It's when I click on a site that's not open that the problem happens. Now that always used to work; I could click on my bank from within the toolbar and it would go there and start the log-in process. Now it goes to a new page to do that. But if I'm already on my bank log-in page, it'll let me log in in the same tab and on we go.

I know the developers (you) are Mac people and that makes it hard to know where to delve.

I've tried to work it out. I went into my registry but couldn't find anything identifiable and I didn't want to take chances so no luck there. Then I went into Firefox's chrome settings. Again, I couldn't find anything to change. So I installed the 1pw4 extension and the problem was still there. I went back to version 3 on the desktop and extension. No go. So I put everything back the way I want it: version 4 on the desktop and version 3 in Firefox's toolbar.

Then I enabled 1pw in Internet Explorer. It worked fine and the way it should.

I have to think it's a Firefox problem. When I have time, I'll have a go at their help system but I just can't right now. Nagging glitches just take so much time! Sigh.

If I find anything out, I'll let you know. Or if you still might have a fix, I'd be more than happy to try it out.

Much thanks.

-G.

• Hi @gorham,

But I have just realized something that may help. If I'm already on the log-in page for a given site, I can use 1pw from the toolbar just fine.

You can also use Control + \ for quicker login process as it skip the menu and log you in directly.

I know the developers (you) are Mac people and that makes it hard to know where to delve.

The 1Password for Windows program and the UI in the 4th generation of 1Password extension are coded natively by our Windows team but the core browser extension is developed by a separate team that's mostly on Mac. We're working on balancing it up to make sure Windows is fully covered.

So I installed the 1pw4 extension and the problem was still there

Then I enabled 1pw in Internet Explorer. It worked fine and the way it should.

Ok, that makes it sound like a Firefox issue because I'm able to do it in both 1Password 3/4 versions with no option changed. I suspect maybe a configuration issue in your Firefox profile.

Or if you still might have a fix, I'd be more than happy to try it out.

Try creating a separate Firefox profile with this guide: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles#w_starting-the-profile-manager

This avoid you having to mess with anything in your current profile and you can test 1Password in a new profile to see if it works more reliably. If yes, then you can confirm it is an issue in your current profile.

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Awk! Yes it is in my current profile. At your suggestion I created a blank profile and then populated it only with 1pw; I actually forced it into my preferred version 3 toolbar extension. Which then worked flawlessly. Sigh. :'(

So I have not idea what I'm going to do but at least I have it narrowed down. As I can, I'll test extensions and then settings and see if it changes anything.

I really appreciate your time and apologize for taking so much of it.

Best regards,

-G.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @gorham,

There's nothing to apologize for and do not worry about our time, that's exactly what we are here for, to help you.

I hope you figure it out and if you did, would you mind sharing that information with us, it would help other customers that might be in the same situation.

Thanks!

• gorham
    gorham
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks Mike. 8-)

• You're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.