Could not copy 1Password.exe because a file already exists at that location

Comments

• cazawarry
    cazawarry
    Community Member

I just wanted to add I've had the same issue with an update removing the exe, but not due to security software. During the update I got an error along the lines of "Could not copy 1Password.exe because a file already exists at that location" and (probably foolishly) I clicked Ignore. The shortcut from my Windows Start menu is now broken as there's no 1 Password.exe in the Program Files folder but the browser add-in is still working fine. I'm sure a reinstall will fix it, I just wanted to point out there might be an issue with the update. FYI I only run Microsoft Security Essentials and have avoided Norton, McAfee etc for years.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @cazawarry,

Thanks for writing in about your experience, it is not likely to be an issue on our side. We've seen a few reports like yours in the past, it is usually a permission issue, the 1Password program wasn't terminated properly (hang or crashed), or the system didn't delete the files in time.

Usually, when you see this, we'd recommend a clean uninstall and then install 1Password again like this:

1. Remove 1Password via the Control Panel > Remove Programs, this won't remove your data as it will only remove the program
    2. Go to your Program Files (x86) directory and move the 1Password 4 folder to your desktop
    3. Reboot
    4. Install the latest copy of 1Password from our site: http://agilebits.com/downloads

That usually resolve these issues. If yes, you can move the desktop copy of 1Password 4 folder to your Trash folder.

PS: I've split your post from the other thread as it is not the same issue.

This discussion has been closed.