How to merge 1Password vaults instead of using a sync service?

rjay
rjay
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Previous a Password Depot user and they had an option where by if you had two Password Vaults you could open them both and sync them with each other and choose which stored passwords would overwrite in which direction, is there an feature like this in 1Password or do I need to do an export from one and import into the other?

If so what will happen in terms of the overwriting of some passwords that are already present ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rjay: 1Password doesn't provide a sync service, but it can leverage some others to sync your data: Wi-Fi/Bonjour, Dropbox. In both cases, the copy with the newest changes will take precedence, but there are conflict resolution mechanisms.

I guess my question is...why would you want to edit the same item twice on two devices? That sounds like more work to me, and after all that's what sync is for in the first place: so you can make a change on one and not have to duplicate efforts on another. Please let me know what you think. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• rjay
    rjay
    Community Member

thanks for the response Brenty. Basically I made an error and was working on a local copy of a 1Password Vault on my desktop not the copy on our Network that the other tech's were using. Just realised after it being that way for a couple of months I now want to sync the two copies to copy over any passwords I have updated in my local copy back into the original copy.

Am across the sync methods that 1Password offers for working on multiple devices and they are excellent but this issue isn't really solved by those that I can see. This is more a case of "merging" two vault's. I just remember Password Depot had a util for that and through 1Password might as well so thought I would check with the forum.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rjay: Ah, understood. Sorry! I think we're just getting hung up on semantics here. ;)

Indeed, all sync methods supported by 1Password will offer to merge the data (and warn you) when you sync data from two sources for the first time. So it isn't something that we need a spate utility for. Be sure to make a fresh backup of each vault just in case, and then sync the two, merging the data. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

This discussion has been closed.