1Password auto-update fails; Firefox Add-In connection fails

Nazbuster
Nazbuster
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I was prompted to install a newer version of 1Password, but the install failed due to an existing copy of 1Password.exe. I uninstalled the application, moved the directory to the desktop, downloaded a fresh copy of 1Password, and installed it. That worked.

I then tried to install the FireFox browser Add-In and got the error that it failed due to a failed connection to Agilebits.com.

I've tried this procedure several times. I'm on Windows 7 (64bit), Firefox 39.0.3, and 1Password 4.

1. Any clue on how to get the extension installed?
  2. Why does 1Password think I need a new version when I already have it?
  3. Why does the install find an existing 1Password.exe file during the install?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:install failed

Comments

• @Nazbuster - it sounds like a firewall or anti-virus software might be blocking the connection. Can you try temporarily disabling it and then try installing the 1Password extension again. Please let us know if this helps.

• Hi @Nazbuster,

Can you tell us what security and/or anti-malware solution you're using? We've seen this issue in the past with Avast and a few others, where it is blocking the connections in Firefox to install add-ons such as ours.

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

I'm using BitDefender. Tried again to install with same failure: cannot connect. Turned off BitDefender firewall. Tried again. Same result. Should I access my router and turn off any firewall there? I have same configuration here for a long time. I have not had problems in the past, but the last few times I responded to "there's a new version", I've had problems installing both the software and the add-in.

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @Nazbuster,

No, no need to do that. BitDefender is well known for doing this to 1Password, disabling it alone won't help.

Here's how to work around this: https://support.1password.com/cannot-install-extension/#install-the-extension-manually (Scroll down for Firefox)

Follow the instruction to download the extension separately rather than installing it from our link. Once you download it and install it locally, it should work.

• Nazbuster
    Nazbuster
    Community Member

WOW! That worked! Sorry you all have to deal with this on a regular basis. Any way that Agilebits and BitDefender can collaborate to eliminate this glitch?

Thanks very much!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

WOW! That worked! Sorry you all have to deal with this on a regular basis.

@Nazbuster: Any time. That's what we're here for! :)

Any way that Agilebits and BitDefender can collaborate to eliminate this glitch?

We do reach out to the vendors in these cases, but they are not always motivated to "accommodate" an independent software company like AgileBits (there are exceptions though). However, you are, ultimately, their customer, so I encourage you to let them know the impact this has on your own user experience. And perhaps they will be attentive to your needs! :)

This discussion has been closed.