Update to 1Password 4

dburke87
dburke87
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I just opened up a new Firefox browser window, and then noticed my 1Password toolbar button disappeared. I went to the add-on manager; didn't see anything out of the ordinary there. Opened up the Windows application; everything fine there. Finally, I get a message saying my Firefox extension will no longer work with my version of the desktop application--version 3. I open up the desktop app again, and a window pops up prompting me to upgrade to version 4. This would be the obvious choice as my Firefox extension no longer supports version 3.

***There was no mention of any new upgrade cost or fee. I click upgrade, it takes me to the download section of agilebits.com, and I download and install version 4. Still, absolutely no mention of a cost up to this point. Finally, it asks me for my product key, and only after I enter it am I finally prompted to pay ~$25. This is after my Firefox extension stopped working and told me it would only work with the new version of the desktop app, and this is after I installed the new version of the desktop app which, of course, uninstalled the old version 3 app.

Now, I'm left with having my "licensed" version uninstalled in place of a version that will ultimately force me to pay or uninstall, at which point my Firefox extension will also stop working. I searched and searched for a way to download an older version of the Firefox extension and found nothing. While I'm sure there's some way to find it, and I'm sure I can find some way to reinstall the older, version 3 of the desktop app, I feel very much conned into basically having to pay ~$25 just to continue using something I've already paid for 2-3 times now (each major upgrade).

I had no issues with version 3; I do not desire to have this new version 4 for ANY reason. I simply want to use what I paid for without being tricked into thinking I have to keep paying for each major version. Please provide some instruction for reverting back to version 3 of the desktop app, and for finding the proper version of my Firefox extension that is still compatible with said desktop app, thank you.

-Daniel

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: Windows 8.1 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

I just opened up a new Firefox browser window, and then noticed my 1Password toolbar button disappeared.

Unfortunately, Firefox 40 broke our old - version 3 - web browser extension.

Finally, I get a message saying my Firefox extension will no longer work with my version of the desktop application

At this point, you probably updated our web browser extension to version 4. While this new version does work with Firefox 40, it doesn't work with our old - version 1 - desktop application for Windows.

There was no mention of any new upgrade cost or fee.

If you purchased your old license key in 2013 or 2014 then the upgrade to 1Password 4 for Win is FREE.

this is after I installed the new version of the desktop app which, of course, uninstalled the old version 3 app.

1Password 4 for Win does NOT uninstall the old version. They are designed to peacefully co-exist. You should still have 1Password 1 for Win on your PC.

I searched and searched for a way to download an older version of the Firefox extension and found nothing.

You can download our old web browser extension here. That being said, it will NOT work with Firefox 40. You can still use it with Google Chrome however.

I feel very much conned into basically having to pay $25...

We are very sorry this has happened, but unfortunately it is Firefox 40 who broke our old web browser extension. This old extension still works fine in Google Chrome.

...just to continue using something I've already paid for 2-3 times now (each major upgrade).

Wait, we have had only ONE upgrade on Windows (going from version 1 to version 4). This upgrade is FREE for everyone who purchased his/her old license key in 2013 or 2014. What other 2-3 upgrades are you referring to?

I simply want to use what I paid for without being tricked into thinking I have to keep paying for each major version. Please provide some instruction for reverting back to version 3 of the desktop app

Here are your options:

1. Download 1Password 1 for Win. Then download the version 3 extension for Chrome or Safari, or
    2. Upgrade to 1Password 4 for Win. Then download the version 4 extension for Chrome or Firefox or Safari.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I had no issues with version 3; I do not desire to have this new version 4 for ANY reason.

@dburke87: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Windows version 1 and the 1Password extension version 3 we created back when Firefox 4 was a thing; they simply don't have any way of knowing about Firefox 40. Of course, Firefox 4 still works with the old 1Password extension just fine, although it isn't something I'd recommend since newer releases include important security fixes and support for current web standards.

I simply want to use what I paid for without being tricked into thinking I have to keep paying for each major version. Please provide some instruction for reverting back to version 3 of the desktop app, and for finding the proper version of my Firefox extension that is still compatible with said desktop app, thank you.

As svondutch mentioned, there have only been two major releases of 1Password for Windows — version 1 and version 4 — so we're certainly not trying to trick you into paying for a second major release of our software; rather you're entitled to use 1Password version 1 and the version 3 extension forever. And while this still works with Chrome, there is no guarantee that unknown releases from the future will work with an app that is no longer under active development. You'll only get the benefit of improvements and new features using the latest version. And compatibility with new browser releases is definitely an important feature.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• dburke87
    dburke87
    Community Member

Perhaps there was error on my part, but I know for sure I have paid twice for 1Password to date: once as my initial purchase and once as some upgrade. If I purchased version 4 now, it would be my third time paying.

I cannot remember if this was the initial purchase or the "upgrade" purchase. I guess this was in 2012, so it looks like my options are limited with Firefox. Again, I said "something I've already paid for 2-3 times now". I did NOT say I've paid for 2-3 upgrades. So, what I said remains true, with some clarity: I've paid for your software TWO times now--once for my initial purchase and once for some "upgrade". Now I'm being prompted for a third.

It looks like my only real options are to forgo using Firefox or pay for an upgrade. I understand that Firefox broke the extension, not AgileBits, but perhaps you can understand some of my frustration when I've paid you guys twice now, and have very little choice but to pay a third time. Perhaps the upgrade process could be a little more transparent and mention possible costs before it takes the use through downloading and installing the new desktop app version.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

I know for sure I have paid twice for 1Password to date: once as my initial purchase and once as some upgrade. If I purchased version 4 now, it would be my third time paying.

@dburke87 That cannot be right, because there simply have not been that many upgrades for 1Password for Windows.

That being said, I'm going to ask my awesome colleague @LauraR to send you a license key. We do not necessarily want your money again. We want you to be a happy customer.

• @dburke87 - I have sent you an email with your new license key. Please let us know if you receive it OK. Thanks!

ref: EPH-79829-994

• dburke87
    dburke87
    Community Member

I did receive this, and it was very much an appreciated surprise. My expectations and goal were certainly not to receive a "freebie", but I greatly appreciate it. I'm now currently using the new version, and it works great!

• @dburke87 - You are very welcome. I'm so glad you are enjoying the new version.

This discussion has been closed.