Backup best practice

I have two machines that point to a local directory for the vault. I then use Synology Cloud Station (like drop box service but data never leaves my home network). At a given time my vault exists on each machine and a share on my NAS.

In this scenario is it better to take backups from the 1password product itself then backing that up. Alternatively can I just backup the share on my NAS (assuming both machines vaults are locked)?

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585 (12)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 8.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Recommended Backup

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wvrider: I would say...D All of the above! :lol:

Seriously though, I'd wager that your vault (and therefore backup) is not terribly large (likely under 50MB, unless you have a LOT of attachments), so keeping a backup of each source would be both space-friendly and wise. After all, data corruption does happen, so if one turns out to be bad it's good to have another — a backup backup, if you will.

You're on the right track with the local vault syncing to the NAS. But especially when it comes to backing up what is likely some of your most sensitive, precious data, don't skimp on the bits! :)

• Hi @wvrider,

You should only back up the Documents > 1Password > Backups folder that 1Password create for you. If you back up the active data folder, it might happen during the time that 1Password is actively writing or reading files and that could cause some issues.

So, you're doing fine by leaving the local stuff on the local drive while copying or using a sync/copy tool to copy the diffs of the Backups folder to the Cloud Station. I would also be safer to use specific PC folders as well, for an example, Backups > 1Password > PC1 > Backups and Backups > 1Password > PC2 > Backups. You can choose how to handle this, however, redundancy is a critical part to backups.

In addition, I'd recommend the standard 2 local copies and one remote copy backup method, you already have the first part covered; you have one copy on the local drive and one copy on the local NAS drive. For the remote copy, you can put it on an encrypted drive to be stored offsite, such as putting it at a friend's house, safety deposit box, and so on. This ensures that in the event of a house fire or any natural disaster, you still have a copy offsite you can get to. We also recommend the 1Password Emergency Kit in that external drive.

If you do the remote stuff, make sure you test the backups every 6 months or once a year because hard drives do die and you should upgrade the hard drive every 5-7 years.

This discussion has been closed.