Trouble getting wifi sync working

Looks like I'm following directions properly. 1P version 4.6.0.584 on PC, iOS 8.4.1 on phone, just installed latest iP version here and setting up sync.

• Generate secret screen comes up fine.
  • Phone finds the wifi, shows the port, and allows "sync now", message turns to 'started sync', then times out.
  • I did (per online advice) attach photo's of passport, license - 4 photo's total. Could this be too much data to sync?

Error code details - Sync Problem...Operation timed out.
Error Domain = NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code = 60.....Operation timed out.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ScottmReed,

Is your iPhone and PC in sync regarding to the date and time? The sync is sensitive to the timing and if it is out of sync for a few seconds, it won't work.

The size of your data file should not matter, we batch your items in separate groups to keep the sync manageable. I've sent a database of ~2K items with 100MB worth of files with no problems. It might freeze the Windows program for a few minutes due to the single UI thread but it should resolve on its own.

• ScottmReed
    ScottmReed
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. I've been trying to sync up the time stamps. Does not seem to be possible. Both iPhone and PC are getting their times from external sources that don't seem to match exactly. Not sure how to fix this. Any other ideas. this time thing seems a crazy thing to be in the middle of this sync design.

• LaserShark
    LaserShark
    Community Member

Hey Scott,

I was having the same problem. My sync had been working fine until I upgraded to Windows 10. Then it stopped!

But I just figured out that my PC had connected to my home's 5G network and my phone was on the regular one. Now that I put them both on the regular one (my phone won't connect to the 5G for some reason), the sync is working again. I hope that helps for you as well! :-)

~Samantha

• Hi guys,

@ScottmReed, LaserShark does bring up a good point, try to make sure your computers and devices are in the same Wi-Fi network and more importantly, the same subnet.

this time thing seems a crazy thing to be in the middle of this sync design.

Time and date are essential in many sync designs and security designs as well. How do you tell when a file is newer than a file on a different computer that has the same size but different content? Computers does not know the difference between "A" and "B" of the same sized file and does not know which is newer according to your needs. It does know that a file created 2 minutes ago is newer than the one on a different computer because they both have the same time and date. Additionally, if the other computer is out of sync, it might cause problems because there is no way of knowing file 1 of specific time from PC 1 is newer than the same file on a PC 2 that's out of sync because they don't line up well. It's better to block the computer that's out of sync to prevent data from getting mixed up.

This discussion has been closed.