My credit card information was stolen online, was my 1Password database breached [Not likely]

kjones318
kjones318
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I got a call from my bank Barclaycard that something had been charged to my account, and it wasn't me. They have closed that account and fedex me a new account card my Tues. I want to make sure someone hasn't got into my 1Password account and used my numbers etc.!!

Please help!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:i think I have a security breach!

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2015

Hi @kjones318,

I'm glad Barclaycard was able to catch it in time for you.

1Password is not a subscription service, there is no account to log into and we do not host or store your data. Your 1Password data is stored securely on your local drive only, it's a dedicated program to manage your sensitive data, not a service.

If you sync your 1Password data with another computer or device via Dropbox, it is still protected with strong encryption that hasn't been broken in over a decade. You can find out more here on how 1Password protects your data and how we have no control over your data: https://support.1password.com/secure-by-design/

Did the bank tell you if the card was used in person or online? I'd suggest you look at where the card was used and see if it is because of the site you used, many sites stored your credit card information on their servers and it is possible the site has been breached. This unfortunately is the most common way to get your card stolen.

It is highly unlikely that someone has gotten into your 1Password database on the computer but it is possible. That's why it is important to figure out how the card was stolen first and with that information, you can proceed on the next steps.

• kjones318
    kjones318
    Community Member

OK that explained a lot! The card was used online at a gaming store. I am 62 retired and don't play those games. I still have the card on me. The bank is fedexing a new card # ect! Thank you for explaining and putting me at ease.

• Hi @kjones318,

No problem. Don't forget to update the card information in 1Password and try to keep an eye on your credit card bills next month, just to make sure it is isolated to that card only.

• kjones318
    kjones318
    Community Member

Thanks!

• You're welcome!

This discussion has been closed.