iPhone and Windows don't agree on OTP [Both devices were out of sync with the time server]

nnutter
nnutter
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I added OTP on my iPhone and they sync to my Windows client but the codes are different. I have two questions:

• Is there a way to get the codes on my Windows client to be in sync with the codes on my iPhone?
  • Are the codes on my iPhone safe? Will sync issues screw up my OTP on my iPhone?

I was excited to notice this feature and to maybe ditch Authy but now I'm nervous...

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:otp

Comments

• Hi @nnutter,

99% of the times we saw this, it was because the PC and the iOS device were not in sync with the time server. Even if you're off by a few seconds, the code will be different on both devices because the time is a huge factor in how OTP works.

Try to sync your time settings to be the same on both devices and it should then match automatically, even without syncing between 1Password apps.

• nnutter
    nnutter
    Community Member

Yep, that was it. I had recently installed Linux which set the BIOS clock to UTC. Hadn't yet noticed that. Now they're just out of sync for a few seconds. I feel comfortable now that I understand what was going on. Thanks @MikeT!

• Hi @nnuter,

You're welcome, I'm glad you got it working now.

This discussion has been closed.