Passwords from saved logins

Is there a way to improve its presentation? I must have maybe 100 of them accumulate over the years. They all look nondescript to me.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

Could you go into a bit more detail here? Are you referring to the Passwords category? Are these passwords that have also been saved as Login items? If so, there are two ways you can clean this up. You can use the help menu: Help > Tools > Remove Redundantly Generated Passwords, or you can check in the 'Duplicate Passwords' category of our Security Audit. This is handy for ensuring that you don't use the same password on multiple websites, but it will show you all of the Password items that are also saved as Logins. You can simply delete all of those passwords that are already in a Login, and your vault will be nice and tidy!

I hope this helps. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Hi, I am referring to the Passwords category. Unfortunately, there's no redundant password removal on the Windows version yet. I have Password 4 and 5 on both Win/Mac but I'm predominantly Windows.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

@Megan, I noticed that 1Password 4.6.584 for Windows has split Passwords into Weak Passwords and Duplicate Passwords. Is an update for the Mac forthcoming to reflect the changes?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

My apologies. Since you're posting in the Lounge, I should have confirmed which platform you're using before advising you. I'm moving this post to the Windows forum so that our Windows experts can let you know the best way to clean up this category in 1Password for Windows.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@wkleem Version 4 deletes your generated passwords once you (auto-)save a new Login item for them, but the old version did no such thing and that might explain for the many generated passwords you appear to be having. They do no harm and you can keep them in your vault. If you really must delete them, then you are free to do so.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

@Megan, It is a long story:) . I started with 1Password 2, went to 1Password 1 ( for Windows) to 4, 1Password 3.x, jumped to 5 (Yosemite) ! Skipped 1Password 4 on the Mac

Apologies for any confusion caused. I was confused too.

@svondutch, Thanks for the info. What about 1Password 5 Mac? Does it auto delete the generated login passwords?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wkleem,

Wow, 1Password 2 was a while ago! Thanks so much for your long-time support. :)

What about 1Password 5 Mac? Does it auto delete the generated login passwords?

1Password for Mac will automatically delete passwords when you convert the item to a Login ... however, there are some cases where this might not happen. That's when the features that I mention above come in handy.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Yep. I was stuck with that iMac with 1Password 2 for a long time (over 1 decade) as it just wouldn't die!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

ep. I was stuck with that iMac with 1Password 2 for a long time (over 1 decade) as it just wouldn't die!

@wkleem: That sounds like a fun geek horror movie parody! :lol:

I'll add that my official policy for 1Password items of dubious usefulness is to Trash them, and if I don't find a use for them in a month or so I empty it. Now, I say that this is my 'official' policy because I pretty much never actually empty the Trash...but it's a good idea in theory if you're less paranoid of accidentally deleting something useful than I am. ;)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member

LOL @brenty. I never empty trash either!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I am glad I am not alone. :p

This discussion has been closed.