Master password reset to old master password

Options
glen_johnson7
glen_johnson7
Community Member

I had a security concern, so I reset all my passwords including my master password on my mac three days ago. I updated the master password on my iphone and everything was working well with my new password for the last three days . On the fourth day, I needed to log back into OnePassword and my new master password wouldn't work. After trying 3 times, I tried my old password I had recently changed and it worked. Is there an explanation as to why it would have changed my master password back to the previous one? I have One Password on three devices; a mac, iphone and ipad.

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.4
Sync Type: icloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glen_johnson7,

I'm sorry you're having a strange problem with your master password! I'm not sure exactly why something like that would happen, but I think it will help if you can let us know some additional information:

• What exact version of 1Password is installed on each iOS device?
    • Do other changes to 1Password sync correctly between your Mac, iPhone, and iPad?
    • You said you changed your master password on your Mac, and you also said you changed it on your iPhone. Do you mean you used the "change master password" option twice - once on your Mac and once on your iPhone?
    • If so, did you change it to the same, new master password on both? Or did you choose a different master password for each one?
    • Have you restored 1Password from a backup recently?
    • Was the new master password working on all 3 (Mac, iPhone, iPad) after changing it?
    • Does the new master password still work on any of your devices, or do they all only accept the old one now?

Thanks!

• glen_johnson7
    glen_johnson7
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,

Thanks for the quick reply. Below are the answers.

• ipad has 5.4.3, iphone has 5.4.3 and mac has 5.3
    • Yes other changes seem to sync correctly
    • I changed the password on my mac and it correctly synced to my iphone. I then used the new password on my iphone.
    • I have not restored it from a backup
    • I never tried to use it on my ipad
    • The new master password doesn't work on any of my devices now

Not sure if this matters, but my ipad was off and I didn't turn it on until this morning. Any chance it would have caused my old master password to work on the other devices again rather than update to the new one?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @glen_johnson7,

It sounds an awful lot like you're saying that the issue occurred after you turned on your iPad but the question is why did it happen.

I don't know if it will reveal anything but it's probably worth taking a look at a couple of diagnostic reports just in case.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Reports please, one for each device. These guides will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the first diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two. For additional diagnostic reports please wait for the automated reply that will be forthcoming. If you either reply to that email or use the email subject it will allow our system to link the emails together as belonging to a single issue. I find that can sometimes help reduce delays or confusion. If you know (very roughly) what time you turned your iPad on that could be of interest.

Once you've sent the reports a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• glen_johnson7
    glen_johnson7
    Community Member
    Options

I've created and emailed all the reports with links to this thread and my handle. Below are the support ID numbers associated with each email.

[#XEM-49949-571]
    [#MSB-79433-882]
    [#WXS-94725-488]

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @glen_johnson7,

We received your Diagnostics Reports, thanks for sending those! I updated the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: WXS-94725-488

This discussion has been closed.