New Mac - Can't Add Existing Vaults

Options
jshiller
jshiller
Community Member

I got a new Mac today so I installed 1Password. The problem is that a lot of the app options are grayed out. I applied my upgrade license for version 5.0. I have no sync options and I can't even create a new vault. What's the issue?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.4
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:no sync, kb:icloud-requires-mac-app-store, kb:trial-expired, kb:check-app-version, kb-search:options

Comments

• jshiller
    jshiller
    Community Member
    Options

I should mention that my existing Vaults were synced through Dropbox.

• jshiller
    jshiller
    Community Member
    Options

I figured it out. For a new 1Password install, the user needs to click a small get started button on the lower right of the welcome screen. An existing user reinstalling doesn't expect to see that. Only after clicking that button do the full features of the app become available. I think this is a bad UI decision. It's very confusing.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jshiller,

The redesign or possible removal of that welcome page is being considered as the button in the bottom right hand corner seems to catch most people out. That screen only appears if 1Password believes it has never run before on this machine, a setting stored in a plist file. It might seem odd but we kind of want to separate the idea of has it been run before from does an Agile Keychain or OPVault exist as one doesn't necessarily mean the other. Quite possibly it often does but it isn't a given. This is an aside though as that screen seems to cause too much confusion as you say.

This discussion has been closed.