Onscreen keyboard not opening [managed by the keyboard software, not individual apps]

Options
h00ligan
h00ligan
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

when in tablet mode on a surface pro 3 even with the option set to open the on screen keyboard in windowed apps 1password doesn't trigger the keyboard to open.

my shortcoming is not finding a way to have the icon in the taskbar to manually trigger it in tablet mode (anyone know if this is possible in general in windows?)

anyway, other apps work when they are opened and a text field is selected, so I'm not sure if this falls in the realm of something agilebits can look into or if it's a broader windows issue.

thanks for reading and the assistance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

when in tablet mode on a surface pro 3 even with the option set to open the on screen keyboard in windowed apps 1password doesn't trigger the keyboard to open.

@h00ligan: Unfortunately the onscreen keyboard is controlled completely by Windows (in the case of Surface — some 3rd party tablets use their own custom onscreen keyboards). However, you can always bring up the onscreen keyboard yourself using the button in the notification area (bottom right corner). I have to do that a lot in various places where Windows doesn't bring it up automatically for me for whatever reason.

my shortcoming is not finding a way to have the icon in the taskbar to manually trigger it in tablet mode (anyone know if this is possible in general in windows?)

Do you mean that it's just missing? I know that it can be enabled and disabled in settings. Doing a Google search revealed that this seems to be a common problem after some recent updates, but you should be able to simply enable it:

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the task bar
    2. Check "Show touch keyboard"

I hope this helps! :)

• h00ligan
    h00ligan
    Community Member
    Options

I found that previously but what indont bder stand is why the keyboard will pop up in most allowed apps but not in one password. If I open my VPN app and hit a text field it opens (third party app ) it I open word or mail and tap in a text field it opens.

I believe it has to do with one password taking focus on launch.

While I get Windows decides to open it something unique about 1p is not allowing it to open.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I found that previously but what indont bder stand is why the keyboard will pop up in most allowed apps but not in one password. If I open my VPN app and hit a text field it opens (third party app ) it I open word or mail and tap in a text field it opens.

I believe it has to do with one password taking focus on launch.

While I get Windows decides to open it something unique about 1p is not allowing it to open.

@h00ligan: Definitely not unique. I encounter this 'Windows onscreen keyboard not popping up automatically' issue frequently, across many apps, including those built into Windows. It doesn't make any sense to me, but we'll continue to investigate to see if there is a workaround. I'm sorry for the inconvenience! :unamused:

• Just a quick follow-up to this:
    I can confirm that the on-screen keyboard doesn't pop up in 1Password and I found that to be the case for other apps, too.
    Like Brent said, this is a bigger problem in Windows from what it looks like and particularly I found that the on-screen keyboard isn't nearly as predictable for me in Windows 10 as it was in Windows 8.1

• jts4621
    jts4621
    Community Member
    Options

When opening 1Password in windows 10 on a surface pro 2 the keyboard does not appear so I cannot enter the master password.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.586
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: windows 10
    Sync Type: dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:When opening 1Password using windows 10 on a surface pro 2 the keyboard does not appear

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@jts4621: Sorry for the confusion! I've merged your post with an existing discussion on this topic. Suffice to say that individual apps aren't able to force the onscreen keyboard to open since it's handled by Windows itself (or, in some cases, 3rd party software). It's really up to the keyboard software itself. Sadly, this is a problem for many apps on both your fancy Surface and my crappy HP tablet. :angry:

We'll see if we can find a workaround for this in the future, but for the time being if for some reason the onscreen keyboard isn't coming up for you when you select a text field, you'll need to open it manually (setting it to show in the taskbar is handy).

This discussion has been closed.