iOS device can't find Mac at wifi sync in university wifi

Options
ccQpein
ccQpein
Community Member

Wifi sync work very well in my house, but when I in dorm and use university wifi, iOS device can't find mac 1password.
There are 2 question I want to be answer:
1. How to fix that.
2. How 1password wifi sync work? Have some tech specs??

Thank you! Everyone

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ccQpein,

It is very likely that your university isolates devices on the Wi-Fi network as a security measure or block broadcast packets as used by Bonjour. Either of those would stop Wi-Fi Sync from working. Basically the two devices have to be on the same subnet and locatable by Bonjour for discovery to work. If I'm on the right track anything else that would rely on Bonjour won't work either.

As a workaround you could use an ad-hoc network when at university and we have a page on How to create an ad-hoc wireless network. This would create an isolated network between the two devices but it would allow Wi-Fi Sync to work.

If Bonjour seems to be working in every other respect then I'm on the wrong track and I'm unsure what the error may be. Are you getting any error message at all?

• ccQpein
    ccQpein
    Community Member
    Options

That's work! Thank you!

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent news, @ccQpein! I'm sure littlebobbytables will be glad to know his suggestion worked for you.

If you need anything else, we're here to help. Otherwise, take care and thanks for using 1Password! :)

This discussion has been closed.