"Failed to fetch some record zones" error on iCloud sync [new reports of successfully syncing now]

Comments

• TerryPass
    TerryPass
    Community Member

I had the same enigmatic error msg today when trying to use iCloud to sync. I switched back to Dropbox and it always syncs fine.

• mark_p9955
    mark_p9955
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Edit: You can try these steps but it looks like the odds of it working are slim to none. Further details forthcoming as we learn more.

Hi all!

Sorry about the trouble you all are having. We are aware of one particular scenario that can cause this to happen. We'd love to fix it but it's a little tricky because we cannot test the code (so far as I can tell) without deploying it to users. Testing potential fixes this way is never a great way to start things off so we (I guess I mean myself here) are still researching potential ways to test fixes for this issue. It's possible that not all of you are experiencing the one we're aware of though.

Generally the way to spot the issue is if you delete the iCloud data from System Preferences->iCloud area on Mac or from the main Settings->iCloud area on iOS. If you do this you could get stuck in this situation where you see failed to fetch some record zones on iOS. On Mac it presents itself as an issue where it says iCloud is not enabled.

If you recently deleted data from iCloud by going to System Preferences or Settings, odds are you're seeing the issue we're aware of and the fix is fairly straight forward.

1. Make a backup of your 1Password data on iOS like this: https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/
    2. Remove 1Password from your iOS device.
    3. Reinstall 1Password on your iOS device.
    4. When you open it, please choose "Create New Vault".
    5. Enter the same Master Password as before
    6. Sync this new vault to iCloud. You shouldn't get any errors.
    7. Restore the backup you created in step one.
    8. Re-sync and it'll ask to merge the data. That's fine.
    9. Let it finish then you can try re-syncing your Mac to iCloud.

If you ever need to delete data from iCloud, use the internal feature to remove that data. On Mac, it's located in Help->Tools->Erase iCloud Data and on iOS it's located in 1Password's Settings->Advanced->Erase iCloud Data. This will properly delete the data from iCloud and you can recover from it without having to jump through the above hoops.

Please try the above steps, if they do not work for you please let us know. If it does work, you're off to the races and hopefully you also know what can cause it to happen in the future so you can prevent it. Hopefully I can find a way to test potential fixes and get it removed as an issue altogether though.

• Testwick
    Testwick
    Community Member

I hope you guys have room on this boat for me :'(

• bobbyjball3
    bobbyjball3
    Community Member

Also experiencing the iCloud sync issue. >_<

• ruffles
    ruffles
    Community Member

@AGKyle I tried the fix and it did not work...

• kue
    kue
    Community Member

Hi,

i have a big problem and i really hope that someone can help me!

i am trying to restore from a backup but the App (newest version) always tells me that there is no existing data. but when i look into my iCloud account i can see that there is a 146,1 kb backup stored.

im on iOS 9 public beta 3 and an iphone 6plus.

Please guys help me. all my passwords are stored in there and many more things too. i really need to get access to those things!

i also had the public beta on my ipad but only on beta 1 and i never updated so i had to do restore the ipad so that i can not check on the ipad if the data is there.

I hope that you guy can understand my bad english!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

@ruffles sad to hear that.

I found a couple of users who wrote into our support about this and I am investigating. This does look to be a different issue than above known issue.

CloudKit, which we use, is a fun one. Not many developers seem to use it so there's not a lot of information about potential best practices beyond Apple's own documentation. It makes this type of thing a lot more fun :)

I'll post something as soon as I know more.

Sorry again for the trouble folks.

Updates

11:00 AM EST - Able to recreate on my own devices
    11:44 AM EST - Beta containers also seem to fail, but only on iOS, not Mac.

• ruffles
    ruffles
    Community Member

@AGKyle Thank you, please keep us updated on the fix!

• bovie2k
    bovie2k
    Community Member

@AGKyle I tried the what you suggested above and no dice. Thanks for the updates.

• kue
    kue
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

maybe my iCloud data was created with the version before the update of the 20.08.15?!
    i installed the before version from my mac and now i have the "failed to fetch..." problem

is there any chance to get the data out of iCloud so that i can manually install it back? im really scared that i will lose all my data.

• curtisinoc
    curtisinoc
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!

Wifi syncing for now

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Alright, I believe I have a theory but it does not appear as though it is on our end but potentially an Apple issue. I'm still trying to narrow it down.

Anyone reading this and following along, can you please confirm that you:

1. Seen that iCloud sync was not working properly for you
    2. Disabled iCloud sync and/or erased data in iCloud
    3. Any attempt to re-enable fails on iOS with the "Failed to fetch some record zones" error

Anyone also experiencing this on Mac? This may be a misleading question, as we don't always present the same errors on each platform.

• bovie2k
    bovie2k
    Community Member

@AGKyle yes I've tried that. My mac to Mac syncing still seems to work but was broken before I did the erase 1password data in iCloud.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@bovie2k Great, thanks. That's what I wanted to hear and is 100% in line with what I am seeing here.

I'll be in touch as I learn more. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is yet, but we're taking steps to try to get it straightened out now.

Thanks again for your patience and I am sorry for the trouble.

• wkeving
    wkeving
    Community Member

@AGKyle
    I can confirm that I:
    1. Logged out of iCloud to troubleshoot other issues not related to 1P. (I have been having App Store and Apple Music issues. Unable to download updates, unable to validate account, unable to access playlists in the cloud, Apple Music acting as if I don't have an account.) I DID OPT TO ERASE ALL ICLOUD DATA FROM PHONE AT THIS POINT.
    2. Rebooted and logged back into iCloud.
    3. Noticed my iOS (8.4.1) 1P was not up-to-date compared to Mac OSX (10.10.5). Don't know how long this might have been the case.
    4. Tried forcing 1P iOS to sync numerous times, still not updating.
    5. Disabled iCloud sync in 1P.
    6. Re-enabled iCloud sync in 1P.
    7. Received the dreaded "Failed to fetch some record zones message.
    8. PANICKED.
    9. Researched the forums, tried all the proposed fixes, no joy.
    10. Did more research in the forums here, realized this happened to folks back in June, it was determined to be iCloud issues beyond anyone's control but Apple's and that it spontaneously resolved itself after a few days, maybe a week?
    11. Cursed at Apple.
    12. Tried the specific backup iOS and OS X 1P database (using iTunes for iOS), deleting 1P from all iOS devices, rebooting, reinstalling 1P, creating a new vault, at which point another error. (Can't remember.)
    13. Cursed Apple again. (I love Apple, but this is maddening.)
    14. Reviewed the forums again, re-reading and re-reading, making sure I was not missing anything.
    15. Drank a beer. Or 3.
    16. Turned on Wi-Fi Syncing, got my 1P on my phone back in sync and relaxed a bit while waiting on the experts to get this sorted out.

• wkeving
    wkeving
    Community Member

Updated to my last post, re: 12. The error message was:

Failed to Enable iCloud
    iCloud could not be enabled. Please try again later.

Drank another beer.

• bovie2k
    bovie2k
    Community Member

@AGKyle Great thanks for the help. Hopefully you guys will be able to pin point what went sideways with iCloud.

• jckrauskopf
    jckrauskopf
    Community Member

I was having the same iOS problems with iCloud so I tried switching to DropBox. Now I get errors there too. On my phone (which has 1 new login that I noticed hadn't been synced to my iPad or Mac and which started me looking into Sync issues in the first place) I get: "Failed to list remote data folder in Dropbox."

I also switched my iPad and Mac which seem to be working correctly.

• boban
    boban
    Community Member

Same issue here. Mac to Mac icloud sync (all on latest SOX Yosemite, 10.10.5) working ok, however changes not making it to iOS. Reinstalled 1p on iPhone, and now getting the error. Interestingly on the iPad it thinks it is syncing ok (i. e. no error message), but effectively it's not absinthe latest changes from the Mac's 1p.

• Furzul
    Furzul
    Community Member

Same here, the only way I can sync is via Dropbox. Cannot get iCloud or Wi-Fi to work.

• @Testwick and @kue

I've merged your posts into a larger thread on the issue. It appears there may be a larger issue with iCloud. Kyle is investigating and will keep this thread updated with the latest information available.

Thanks

Ben

• brita
    brita
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

This is bogus!!! I've been screwing around with my iPhone, iPad, and Mac now for easily 3 hours and can't get past this error message. I've tried the suggested fix, but am no better for it. I've been a faithful 1Password user for years, but this sucks butt! Please help AgileBits

• boban
    boban
    Community Member

@Furzul WiFi syncing (Mac to iOS) works for me.

• boban
    boban
    Community Member

@bwoodruff If it is an iCloud issue, it seems to only affect iOS, though, as OSX iCloud syncing works ok. Any chance this might be an issue with the 1Password iOS app update instead?

• @brita, I've merged your post into a larger thread on the same issue. Please see below.

Hi @boban,

We don't know the exact cause, yet. If the problem were with the 5.5 update though I would've expected it to show up before now.

We're still investigating and will update this thread as soon as we have more information. For anyone just joining the conversation now, unfortunately we do not currently have a solution. If you need to sync your data now I would recommend temporarily using WiFi sync until we can track down and resolve this issue with iCloud.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Ben

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hey all,

I've been silent for awhile as I have been working to get the wheels in motion to try to get this seen by people who could potentially help.

@boban it most definitely is iOS only, but I don't believe we can link it up directly to the latest update (yet). It was something that has been discussed but I figure we would've heard from people both in the beta and the day or so after release of the update if the update caused it. It has been 6 days since the update so it's rather odd that it took that long for reports to come in for this if the update was the cause. That doesn't rule it out of course, just some food for thought.

We now have the powers that be looking into things so we'll hopefully know more soon.

I know I sound like a broken record, but I do appreciate everyone being patient and understanding. I'm here until we get this fixed for you all.

• lund
    lund
    Community Member

What's up. Without synchronisation 1Password is useless!

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:Trying to synchronise via iCloud and I get the message "Failed to fetch some record zones."

• Hi @lund,

I've merged your post with an existing thread on this issue. Please see above for the latest information.

Ben

• Hi folks,

Please see this thread for the latest updates. Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.