Dropbox Syncing

Hi: Trying to sync using Dropbox between a Mac and a PC. (I have been using Dropbox syncing between Macs for years, so that works.) When I try to initialize the new instance on the PC, I navigate to the correct Dropbox folder, click on the file that has the correct name, but I get an error message that the file is not a vault or keychain or what ever it is. The error message suggests resetting the master password on the Mac, which I did. There has been no change in behavior. Please help. Thanks.

1Password Version: Latest
Extension Version: Latest
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:uninstall windows, kb:uninstall-1password, kb:dropbox-troubleshooting

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Artemesius: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me all the OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, what is the path to your vault in Dropbox on the Mac (as shown in 1Password Preferences > Sync)? Make sure that Dropbox is finished syncing this, and then in 1Password for Windows you can go to File > Open 1Password Vault (if it is not automatically detected when you launch 1Password). Please let me know what you find. Thanks in advance! :)

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

Hi, Brenty.

Currently running 1Password 5 on two Macs under Yosemite (10.10.5), one iPad (iOS 8.4.1), and one iPhone (iOS 8.4.1).
    Attempt to bring up 1Password on Windows 7 (up to date).
    Path to the keychain is: ~/Dropbox/Library/Application Support/1Password. Dropbox confirms that it is updated on the PC.
    When you browse that path on the PC, the file that should be the keychain appears to be a folder.

Hope that helps. Let me know what else you need.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When you browse that path on the PC, the file that should be the keychain appears to be a folder.

@Artemesius: Yep! The .agilekeychain is what is known as a 'package' or 'bundle' on OS X, and Windows simply sees this as a folder. Just open 1Password for Windows, go to File > Open 1Password Vault, and select it from there! That should do it. :sunglasses:

It does seem odd to me though that your folder structure in Dropbox seems to mirror the OS X /Library/Application Support/ path. Was that intentional? Otherwise it sounds good. So long as you're using this same vault on all your devices, the data will sync between them. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

Well, here again is the problem. When I launch 1Password on Windows, I get a splash screen that says: Welcome to 1Password. It has three options: 1) I am new to 1Password, 2) I have used 1Password before, and 3) Restore 1Password Vault from Backup. When I try "2" and navigate to to the .agilekeychain, it responds with this error: "pathname is not a 1Password Vault. Changing your mater password in the Mac version might correct this problem." (As I mentioned earlier, I tried changing the master password to no effect.) When I try "3" and navigate to Backups, it sees no backup files. When I go to Backups on a Mac, I see at least 30 files in there.

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

I just noticed that the latest version for Windows is v4, while the latest on the Mac is v5. Does that make a difference?

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. The organization in Dropbox is deliberate. I sync lots of apps with dropbox, and it helps me remember where the key files are supposed to be.

• Hi @Artemesius,

When I try "2" and navigate to to the .agilekeychain, it responds with this error: "pathname is not a 1Password Vault.

Are you selecting the 1Password.agilekeychain folder or going inside the folder? It should be the folder itself, if you select something inside the folder, it will respond with that error. Please try again and select the folder itself.

If that still does not work, try copying the folder from Dropbox to the desktop and see if 1Password can open from it. If it is still the same error, could you open the folder and take a screenshot of the folder’s content, upload it here for us to view.

When I try "3" and navigate to Backups, it sees no backup files. When I go to Backups on a Mac, I see at least 30 files in there.

1Password for Mac-created backups are not compatible with the Windows program. You can only restore with 1Password for Windows-created backups or 1Password 3 for Mac.

I just noticed that the latest version for Windows is v4, while the latest on the Mac is v5. Does that make a difference?

No, that shouldn’t matter. We use the same .agilekeychain format between 1Password 3, 4, 5 for Mac, iOS, Windows, and Android, and the latest version for both Android Windows is 4.

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

I have tried selecting the folder itself, and get the same error message. Copying .agilekeychain to the desktop had no affect. A screenshot of the .agilekeychain folder contents is attached.

• Hi @Artemesius,

Some of these folders should not be in there, such as style and sync.

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostic report on the Mac, so we can figure out why it is like that. Please use this guide to generate a diagnostic report on your Mac to email to us and, in the email, also include the link to this thread along with your forum username.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can look for it, and confirm we got the email.

• Artemesius
    Artemesius
    Community Member

Report has been sent.

• Thanks, we got the report and will follow up as soon as possible.

ref: XZF-65878-394

This discussion has been closed.